Sink, bath and shower wastes in concrete floor

Triassic

I’m starting to set out the waste pipes for a basement bathroom and was wondering what was best practice for such things. 

I had in mind something like this (see photo). My thinking was that if I shuttered around the pipes I could then have some flexibility fitting the sink, shower and bath. 

In my situation the toilet waste waste is in the middle so I was thinking of a boss on each side, rather than using a T piece, as in the example below.

D0C1C5EE-19A0-4DC4-8C85-974E529E800B.jpeg

Once fitted and in their final position I’d then remove the temporary shuttering and concrete the pipes into place.

Edited by Triassic
  • Thanks 1

I also assume I’ll need a drain in the room containing the thermal store, if so, what size? Would 40mm do?

ps. I notice the guy whose picture i borrowed has used screw connections, I’d use solvent weld, less likely to leak?

Edited by Triassic

• 1 year later...

Very old topic, I assume you ,@Triassic , are done with the installation by now?

I have the exact same problem, scratching my head of how to put in waste pipes for downstairs bathtub and shower in the screed.

Floor is Block and Beam with Insulation on top, than screed.

This is the best  method how to do it i have seen so far.

Sinks are obviously less of a problem and even toilet is fairly ok to understand (lots of examples, quite a fw people have a downstairs loo_)

On 25/09/2019 at 16:24, Patrick said:

Very old topic, I assume you ,@Triassic , are done with the installation by now?

@Patrick, if only! I’m still working hard to get the outside finished, this Cumbrian horizontal rain isn't helping! I dream of inside jobs! 

Good to see our resident bathroom expert has pointed you in the right direction.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, MortarThePoint said:

Is it standard to have UFH under shower trays?

You can be don't have it to close to the waste or it could dry it out. I suppose it also depends on the type you have in the shower area but I'd presume most low profile ones are fine.

1 hour ago, MortarThePoint said:

Is it standard to have UFH under shower trays?

Nope. My shower waste is a bit unconventional as in the wall anyway not the floor.

20180308_182835

The trap has a bit of insulation in the form of the perimeter strip:

20180327_174559

Tbh the shower gets that much use the trap will never dry out. 

2 hours ago, Dudda said:

You can be don't have it to close to the waste or it could dry it out. I suppose it also depends on the type you have in the shower area but I'd presume most low profile ones are fine.

I don't know why but I had presumed the UFH would not extend under the shower. I'm not sure I'll do it. Other than your good point about the trap, I can't think of any pros or cons as the shower water will be hot.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Nope. My shower waste is a bit unconventional as in the wall anyway not the floor.

20180308_182835

The trap has a bit of insulation in the form of the perimeter strip:

20180327_174559

Tbh the shower gets that much use the trap will never dry out. 

Cool shower waste. You did go for UFH under the shower.  Was you floor concrete with rebar?

43 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Yes, but was this because of using a concrete pour rather than a screed?

Not sure what the question is tbh but...

Erm...I have no screed. For the main floor area it's concrete (20mm ballast) laid and tamped using screed rails screwed to the walls. The wet room corner is a different concrete mix using 10mm pea shingle, sharp sand, cement and heavy on the SBR. The A142 mesh runs across the whole floor. 

The main floor concrete is laid on Polypanels which have the UFH pipes clipped into them. The wet room corner is full depth concrete. Under the (blue) DPM is the pir insulation layer (150mm).

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1