Tiling...many questions

Onoff

55 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Yup. Just allows to to scrub all the grout out that you just spent ages putting in :( 

I once spoke to a wise old tiler, a bit like Mr Miyagi off the filum "Katate Kid". 

His wise words, spoken softly. His warm breath on my neck.....hang on, that's the wife after 50 shades ?

"Let the grout go off a bit, then hand sponge it with a reasonably damp but not dripping sponge, going at 45 degrees to the grout lines and NOT with them. 

Then once you've done a m2 you LIGHTLY run the damp CLEAN sponge with the lines to take out the grain pressing lightly. 

After that you retire for Saki,  and 30 minutes later you get a soaking wet janitors mop and clean everything, mopping at 45 degrees to the grout lines. Finish the edges with the sponge and smirk to yourself as you'll have finished a couple of hours before the mere mortals with no mop". 

He was right, and that's how I've grouted ever since. 

Praise the lord. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

White = "wtf did I ever think of white grout"

Mine is pale cream. Not quite as bad as white but as there is so much of it I regularly think wtf was I thinking of! 

Boll@cks!

ALWAYS read the instructions... :ph34r:

Seems I SHOULD have back buttered the tiles! >300x300 and where dampness likely after tiling...

IMG_20180805_234100519.thumb.jpg.30a6404ee15786899417c58befa7e23d.jpg

Too late now.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

I bet that adhesive is still soft ....I use a standard set and add some rapid to it and halve the time to set but it’s still hours .. 

It was drying fast along the edges so I didn't chance moving anything.

Too late as in midnight anyway. I think I'm "saved" as the concrete was so flat to start with. When I was spreading the slab it was going on a dream with no undulations under the float. I didn't have to put it on thicker anywhere. Had a look and a gentle tap this morning and all seem solid.

For the remainder I'll butter the tile back too.

@Nickfromwales, not wishing to agree with SWMBO here but why can't I now do the section where the basin will be to the right in this picture? It's about 1m2 so not too much for me to get into trouble.

IMG_20180805_214628044.jpg

THEN from the bottom of the picture to the stub wall. When that's dry the bit in the cupboard & out the door?

Ta. 

45 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So tonight these two areas abutting the wet room corner. 

If I butter both floor and tile now won't I just have more adhesive ooze out / to clean up?

You may well have probably but you won't have any missed spots under the tiles which is surely what the buttering derisks so which is more important? 

Just did the bit under the basin area tonight. Buttered the tiles. Felt "better" laying them. Also a couple under the wc with last of the muck:

20180806_204842

20180806_204815

Found a method to get shot of the excess adhesive too. I laid all the tiles with spacers. Then removed them and wiped the faces with a sponge. Used a 1" paintbrush in the joints to get rid of the excess. Another go over with the sponge and then put the spacers back in. Used a 4' Stabila level and "knees" to level across them. 

• Like 2

Looking good!!! Is that the sieve from the kitchen? Hubby was always requisitioning them for something. Even the expensive stainless steel one I bought that caused a row! Bought cheaper ones after that. There are a few abandoned wrecked ones I found in the garage ... 

24 minutes ago, CC45 said:

coming along......

6mm tile trowel used?

Yep. Bed on the floor, trowel held at 45deg. Then buttered the back of the tile in the opposite direction. Laid with a twist! 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Looking good!!! Is that the sieve from the kitchen? Hubby was always requisitioning them for something. Even the expensive stainless steel one I bought that caused a row! Bought cheaper ones after that. There are a few abandoned wrecked ones I found in the garage ... 

I did ask if I could have the sieve for recycling and sifting blast media!

-What really pi$$es her off is...

- taking what I thought was the old washing up bowl for engine/gearbox oil changes,

- nicking her cheap crappy plastic brooms / dust pans (and breaking them). 

Along with "loading the dishwasher" / "folding the towels" the wrong way...."not filling the water filter up".....

The list is endless tbh...

Edited by Onoff