This is a new one on me.....

I suppose a garage door is cheaper than a haystack. Congratulations to Blaby ... it took 2 years to get to Court.

If you want to know why people do it, consider the low level of the fines.  I think the garage door was an attempt at concealment after challenge by the Council rather than a Thunderbirds style entrance. I wonder what their plans were for it.

At Leicester magistrates court, Herzallah and Almasri, of Enderby, Leicestershire, were each ordered to pay a £770 fine, legal costs of £1,252 and a £77 victim surcharge.

The garage will be restored to its former use after follow-up visits by the council resulted in the discovery of a series of planning breaches.

The Blaby district councillor Sheila Scott said: “The message from this case is clear. If you breach planning regulations and ignore us, we will not just go away.

“Creating an access on to the busy B4114 and blocking off valuable off-road parking space was completely unacceptable.

I have one locally where the developer got pp by offering several off-road parking spaces in a back garden, and claimed that the neighbouring plot had made a legally binding promise to provide access as he had a Right of Way.  Neighbouring plot now sold at auction to third party, and garden fence reinstated. Not sure how to proceed.

Edited by Ferdinand

What they should have done is put a picture of the door and windows on the garage door.

Then when they council comes around, just laugh at them.

Later finish the project off.

It is a sad state of affairs when people feel they need to convert a small garage into a house.

Don't overdo the tears, gents.

This is a household with an income that may well have been over 100k (one is a senior NHS professional) wanting living accommodation for a full-time nanny, in an area with no particular housing crisis and not especially high prices, where they could easily afford a larger house if they could be bothered.

So they did it without permission in breach of Planning Conditions designed to protect community safety and opened up an unauthorised entrance onto a busy dual carriage way a couple of metres from a Junction splay into a Housing Estate..

Reckless is  the word imo.

What lost them the Appeal was endangering other people turning into the housing estate.

Will post a couple of links later.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
Correction

Here we go.

The garage on the right is the one that was converted for the nanny and fenced off. The new entrance on the left is onto a duel carriageway and you can see the start of the junction splay, which goes to an estate road off the bottom of the pic.

I have read several articles on this and I do not think a single one mentions that the retrospective application and Appeal were rejected on grounds of safety for traffic entering the Estate. They all focus on the funny aspect. Credit to the BBC for a contextual pic, however.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-43043752

The Applicants comments to the Leicester Mercury website make clear that they *still* are not willing to admit to this.

Appeal Decision attached here: leicester-nanny-annexe-hidden-house.pdf

F

illegal-nanny-annexe-hidden-house-leicester.jpg.33d2b19dfcd514681b67dd5500f76e00.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

It all seems a bit petty to me.

So the issue was not that they used the garage for accommodation, but that they created a new access to a road without permission. The neighbour appears to have a similar entrance to that road, so they probably thought it was safe.  Could they not have taken the access to their front garden parking area from the side road that feeds the garage?  I suspect the additional front parking and garage being converted are separate issues and they would probably have created the front parking even if they had not converted the garage.

It seems totally ludicrous that a house of that size was built in the first place with just a garage space and space to park 1 car in front of the garage.  I personally would never buy a house like that because of the totally inadequate parking arrangements.

I suspect there is more of a back story to this that we don't know.

15 hours ago, ProDave said:

It all seems a bit petty to me.

So the issue was not that they used the garage for accommodation, but that they created a new access to a road without permission. The neighbour appears to have a similar entrance to that road, so they probably thought it was safe.  Could they not have taken the access to their front garden parking area from the side road that feeds the garage?  I suspect the additional front parking and garage being converted are separate issues and they would probably have created the front parking even if they had not converted the garage.

It seems totally ludicrous that a house of that size was built in the first place with just a garage space and space to park 1 car in front of the garage.  I personally would never buy a house like that because of the totally inadequate parking arrangements.

I suspect there is more of a back story to this that we don't know.

I am still firmly with the Council on this one. Wider context in this pic. They have built their unlawful entrance virtually on the 'slip road' of a dual carriageway. That dual carriageway has a normal (85th percentile) traffic speed of 50mph+ and a 50mph limit (in Appeal report I think) and around 7-12k traffic movements per day (no count points directly nearby so need to estimate). 

I'm still gobsmacked that a Dr could do this.

illegal-nanny-annexe-hidden-house-leicester-context.thumb.jpg.3e66cf8dedb3a951bb01ad4f43003a7d.jpg

and while it is not exactly an accident blackspot, nor is it accident free and a few seem to relate to that side and that junction. Red=Serious. From crashmap.co.uk:

illegal-nanny-annexe-hidden-house-leicester-crashmap.thumb.jpg.d8d1f626946fa8c70534acbd1d6d0ce6.jpg

I was chuckling about the Driving School, but it is actually a Diving School.

Also an interesting round structure at the back of the estate. Sewerage aerator?

illegal-nanny-annexe-hidden-house-leicester-estate.thumb.jpg.a9323e5a1a63d022b715b807d3a4f0ea.jpg

F

Edited by Ferdinand