ultra thin laminate worktops

lizzie

I have splashed out on my beautiful kitchen with honed granite and now I need to save a few bob doing the utility so Howdens units but not having had a laminate worktop in more than 20 years (and dont have fond memories) I have been looking around at whats available.

I have seen the Wilson art Zenith 12.5mm (b&q, wickes, magnet etc), looks good and sounds just the thing 100% waterproof etc. Good prices on line too.

Anyone  any experience of these?

link

Edited by Nickfromwales

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

I have splashed out on my beautiful kitchen with honed granite and now I need to save a few bob doing the utility so Howdens units but not having had a laminate worktop in more than 20 years (and dont have fond memories) I have been looking around at whats available.

I have seen the Wilson art Zenith 12.5mm (b&q, wickes, magnet etc), looks good and sounds just the thing 100% waterproof etc. Good prices on line too.

The only thing I know is that talking to my joiner friend is that they are an absolute bugger to cut! They go through router bits like there's no tomorrow and apparently its pretty unforgiving.

I too really like the look of it.

8 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

The only thing I know is that talking to my joiner friend is that they are an absolute bugger to cut! They go through router bits like there's no tomorrow and apparently its pretty unforgiving.

I too really like the look of it.

What about close-cutting shy first with a circular so the router is only taking off 1-2mm passes at a time to clean up?

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

link

The 20mm worktops are bloody flimsy imo ( laminate over chipboard ). Just fitted my mates as a favour and not great for the 960mm brekky bar tbh. Ok if supported by units but a bridge to far if unsupported imo. Had to bond 5mm SS plates to the underside with Sikaflex to beef the brekky bar up. A PITA. Looked nice though. 

My only concern with the 12,5mm stuff is how do you do the joints in the corners?

Used these loads of times as toilet and shower cubicles. Very strong durable material, easy to clean (including graffiti), moisture resistant. Never seen them used for kitchen worktops but no reason not to as long as you don't mind the black edge profile. They look fine when used for the WHB units.

If you get onto Venesta who are one of the larger toilet cubicle manufactures they'll have a far larger range of colours. Give them the measurements and they'll cut to size for you. It would probably work out cheaper than getting from a kitchen company.

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

What about close-cutting shy first with a circular so the router is only taking off 1-2mm passes at a time to clean up?

Mason mitre jigs have stops on the waste side. Obviously it can be done by jigging up right but makes it even more pita. I allow a cutter per kitchen job done 

• Like 1

I think there is an edging strip if you dont like the black.  I’m sure the one I saw in b&q had a matching egde but for me the black would be fine and would work with my grey doors, looking at either the very dark Caldera or possibly the grey concrete one.

Note the cutting issues thank you., I may not be popular, will investigate further. 

These certainly look the nicest I have seen so far in the laminate style tops and the most durable.

The solid laminate tops arent really meant to be cut on site and the idea is to order them precut from the factory where they are cut and finished on purpose made machine. JOins are butt joins only.

IMO good product but only if a factory cut solution works ie islands with hob/sink cutouts are premade.

Some of the thinner 17mm worktops we supply are made from laminate faced plywood. Again works best when factory cut.

7 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

The solid laminate tops arent really meant to be cut on site and the idea is to order them precut from the factory where they are cut and finished on purpose made machine. JOins are butt joins only.

IMO good product but only if a factory cut solution works ie islands with hob/sink cutouts are premade.

Some of the thinner 17mm worktops we supply are made from laminate faced plywood. Again works best when factory cut.

I only want one straight 3m run in my utility room with cut out for sit on sink nothing fancy.  No joins. Thats possible for fitter surely? Is it any more difficult to cut than the quartz faced board (maxtop or similar)....starting to sound like a lot of hassle for one little utility room!

17 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Sorry - who is we, cos might like some laminate faced plywood in kitchen - sometime next year!

I run a kitchen design and installation business and we deal with a brand of German kitchen who also supply the said worktops through us.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

If its the utility room I assume you have freestanding appliances. What sort of support do you anticipate putting between units to support the worktop?

Only a washer and dryer and I have no idea!  Oh dear what have I started here.....help please.

Not even run this by my chippie yet....who will be fitting  it all LOL

Solid laminate at 10/12mm will be OK but anything with a chipboard core I am not sure can be left unsupported over 60cm

Neither of these are cheap (in comparison to 38mm laminate tops) so you may as well  ask at your local granite yard. They will very likely have a 3m offcut of something 20mm that they can let you have if you are prepared to provide the template and fit it yourself.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RichS said:

@lizzie If your washer and drier are side by side can you squeeze an end support panel between them?. This would then support the worktop.

Actually thats not strictly correct. Normally this would be absolutely fine but with these ultra thin worktops its the lateral support it requires.

For instance our suppliers provide metal bars for unsupported gaps of up to 60cm for laundry appliances. Units wider then 60cm have to be ordered with special metal braces as the front rails on carcases arent adequate.

This applies to 12mm or thinner solid worktops also.