Triassic

Section 75 protection on credit cards is fairly well known. What's less well known are the protections afforded by Visa and Mastercard Ts&Cs on all cards (debit included). At a minimum, these should protect you from non-delivery (e.g., if supplier goes bust), but might also offer some protection from "goods not as described."

Your rights as a consumer are unaffected however your ability to recover under the Consumer Credit Act and Section 75 is removed. You could always pay a deposit via credit card and the balance via BACS to gain cover subject to the supplier agreeing.

£100 minimum. I always pay £101 just to be sure :)

Also make sure you keep the receipt with a piece of paper noting the transaction date and full card details that you used for it. Speaking from experience - by the time I needed to make a claim, my cards had been replaced, and I had a devil of a time trying to track down the original details. 

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

I’m starting to buy stuff for my self Build. I’ve been asked a few times to pay for large ticket items  via BACS rather than card.

Are there any downsides to paying via BACS?

If you send BACS to the wrong place it will be your responsibility since you issued the instruction; and while the bank may get it back they may not depending on what the mistaken recipient has done with the cash.

The situation is now somewhat improved in some cases in that banks etc will return money from an account without needing permission from the mistaken recipient.

Personally I detest BACS ever since, despite always sending a £10 part payment first to check and set up the correct details on the system, I rushed one time ant a lot of money to the wrong place. I got it back but I avoid at nearly all costs now.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, divorcingjack said:

£100 minimum. I always pay £101 just to be sure :)

Don't forget: It's £100 in total, so you could just pay a £1 deposit on a credit card but still get §75 protection.