Scaffold or ladder

I'm trying to get installed Heat Recovery Vent into a 2nd floor flat

http://www.i-sells.co.uk/vent-axia-lo-carbon-tempra-selv-lt-single-room-hrv

I need a little of the harling chipped away to make the bottom of the existing core hole a little wider and then a PVC plastic face plate screwed to the wall.

The problem is that this work needs to be done at height (approx 7 meters as red circle below shows) and I'm not sure if a builder would need to erect a scaffold and platform to do this work or if it can be something that could be done by safely and legally by someone who is proficient with using ladders?

vent-1.thumb.jpg.7b36e7ef823c64ceaa014383be62e8d0.jpg

If scaffolding is required then any ballpark guesses at the costs for erecting a small tower for the day?

A qualified person, ie rope access trained would lower some ropes out of both windows and attach to ladder, raise ladder and secure it with ropes so it could not tip / slip.  then head on up, secure your self to ladder and get the job done, well thats what i would do but i am not an authority. However finding that qualified person could be the hard part, so a tower may be cheeper.... im sure someone will have a more “normal” proposal ....... 

• Thanks 1

Chip away from the inside to enlarge the hole.

Drop a rope out through the hole. attach the face plate, with copious amounts of sealant applied.  Pull rope, face plate pulls up to hole. Retain tension until sealant dried.  Cut rope and push the end out.

• Thanks 1

Depending on access I would use a cherry picker in most instances these days as I’ve got access to one for £100 a day that does 12m up and 5m out and will tow on the back of most cars. Takes 10 mins to set up and is easy to reach just about anywhere. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...