Having recently replaced the filters in my MVHR unit, I'm pondering whether it would be worth fitted additional filters in the actual ductwork to do the majority of the filtration.

Something like this:

http://www.justfans.co.uk/catalogues/PF150AL.pdf

With an additional filter (lets assume its a fairly coarse one) there would be some pressure drop if I were to do this, which I could compensate for by increasing the fan speed. 

Any other thoughts?

I plan to do similar - more to keep dust out of the intake fans as they sit the “wrong” side of the filters for me which means dust and dirt can collect on them.  

Filter will be wall mounted as it goes through the wall to the outside to keep the runs to a minimum. 

Sorry but being a bit slow on the uptake... is this pre filter on the outside air coming in or pre filter on the extract from say kitchen ? And if kitchen where would these be fitted ?  I was intending to put a recirculating hood over the cooker and an extract in the stairwell as there is a fire door at the top and heat and escaped cooking smells could accumulate. I like the idea of potentially preventing the mvhr pipe work getting dirty. I use pre filters on our dust masks and they are great at prolonging the life if the main filter by a long way and can see how this could be a great idea. 

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

Mine go inside the pipes at the ceiling they sit just inside the pipe and are hidden by the decorative vent cover. all extracts have filters at point air enters, keeps the system as clean as possible.

@lizzie did these come with your vents as thats a really neat idea !

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

Mine go inside the pipes at the ceiling they sit just inside the pipe and are hidden by the decorative vent cover. all extracts have filters at point air enters, keeps the system as clean as possible.

Yes would be intrested to know where these come from so i can look into it a bit more. 

I have German Robbens MVHR and they are offered as part of that. I also have airflow regulators that sit in the pipes.

Have a look at their online shop at www.underfloorheating.co.uk  and go to ventilation and then filters. Lots of different ones to suit their various systems. If yours was same diameter as one if theirs guess it might fit