hss drill bits

The DeWalt set is the mutt's nuts. Good price too at the mo here, cheaper than FFX even. Good in stainless too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-extreme-2-hss-drill-bit-set-29pc/20064?tc=AA7&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0NSn66S_2AIV7ZztCh17ngIIEAQYASABEgIy4fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKzA6_Kkv9gCFcykUQodLrUIRQ

BUT.....it's crap if you want to drill a big hole by working up from small sizes. The tip shape won't self centre on a pre drilled hole.

Edit: To clarify, drilling a FRESH hole i.e  with no pilot hole then tip shape is good as it self centres in the material.

Also get yourself a set of Bosch multi construction bits. I keep sets in the different tool totes as in plumbing, leccy. They do what they say on the tin and drill timber / metal / masonry. Amazing really. Shop around but these (also there's a 4-piece cheaper set):

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-mcb-set-7pieces-robust-line-drill-bit-set#gref

Edited by Onoff

I have a small set of Dewalt bits that I think we're described as universal bits. Very pleased with them. Once used them to drill holes through the hinge pins on a bunch of field gates so padlocks could be used to prevent the gates being lifted off. Went through the steel nicely even though I was using a portable drill.

Also grab a couple of Starrett pilot drills, the 1/4" HsCo ones. They'll go thru thick steel like I beams without a pilot a piece of pi$$. 

Always use cutting compound when cutting steel, it'll make your drill bits last longer. Drill a bit, dip in the tin, repeat. Even a smear on a hacksaw blade helps. Brands to look for are RTD, Trefolex, Temaxol.

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Also get yourself a set of Bosch multi construction bits. I keep sets in the different tool totes as in plumbing, leccy. They do what they say on the tin and drill timber / metal / masonry. Amazing really.

+1 to this. It’s the only ones I use now unless I need to drill a “perfect” hole then I’ve got an old tin box set of HSS from Axminster.  

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

+1 to this. It’s the only ones I use now unless I need to drill a “perfect” hole then I’ve got an old tin box set of HSS from Axminster.  

I even drilled tiles with the Bosch bits once to fit a loo roll holder when I had nothing else. Worked a treat.

It always depends what use you're going to put them too.  For odd sized drills that I'm only ever going to use once in a blue moon, I'll buy generic non-cobalt HSS drills, like these: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-m2-ground-hss-drill-bits-ax22813

For sizes that I know will get used a lot I always buy a few cobalt HSS drills, either from Aximinster or more usually from Arc Euro Trade: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk

In general, the drills from Arc Eurotrade have been slightly better, but newer cobalt HSS drills from Axminster are pretty damned close.

I never, ever buy sets of drills now.  Every set I've ever bought has been poor value compared to only buying good quality drills of the sizes I actually need.  The only exception to that is a set of Dormer jobber HSS bits that I bought around 25 years ago, which were all of pretty good quality.  Every other set of drills I've ended up buying have been poor value, as I'm convinced that they cut the quality in order to get set prices down, probably because people in DIY sheds tend to buy on price, not quality.

thanks guys, some things to look at

23 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Lidl do a set of Ti coated in a blue steel box that are superb.

it's these i'm replacing, used them for longer than i should have as they were mediocre to start with!  i just hate waste and make my life harder due to it.