The best £18 I've spent in a long time.

So after a meeting with our planning officer ?, we have been asked to do some alterations to our plans, so rather than go back to the architect with a wheelbarrow full of money I thought I would try to get the plans 90% right and then give it to him to finish of,

so I brought an app called architouch 3D that I have used on my I pad, there is not an hour that goes by without me being impressed with it. 

Gets a big thumbs up from me. ??

Edited by Russell griffiths

35 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I want one that can draw plans from GPS by touching walls and corners with the puter

It's not that far away. Google's Project Tango is making progress and with a couple of consumer devices now available and a good community of developers creating apps, it's just about possible now, although not without some manual fudging to get the final result.

Most of the Apps are for augmented reality gaming, but there are also some 3D Scanning type apps with a goal of creating 3D and 2D plans of the built environment.

Similar to this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Wosomtech.EasyBuild

I got a Project Tango developers tablet around 18 months ago and it's processing of scans into fully volumetric environments has really improved. What I mean by that is starting in one position within a group of rooms, walking round the area and returning to your starting point and the scan being more-or-less back in the correct place.

20 minutes ago, IanR said:

I got a Project Tango developers tablet around 18 months ago and it's processing of scans into fully volumetric environments has really improved. What I mean by that is starting in one position within a group of rooms, walking round the area and returning to your starting point and the scan being more-or-less back in the correct place.

I wonder if this came out of or is designed to compete with a similar app I was shown by IBM in 2012 - can't recall what it was called but it was all about buildings, people, routes and assets. It could draw plans and put in the people who worked there - not sure it had an 3D capability. 

3 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I wonder if this came out of or is designed to compete with a similar app I was shown by IBM in 2012 - 

Very definitely a Google project from its inception. It first broke cover from "Google X" at about that time, but don't think they were handing out (selling) developer kits until around 2014.

I was trying to get one back then, but they were only sold in the US. Glad I was forced to wait as the 2nd gen device was a tablet rather than a phone and with a lot more grunt.