Woodfire Passiv log burner boiler stove - shown at Harrogate Home & Hearth

Visited Home & Hearth at the weekend and was shown a log burner design specifically for low heat demand passiv houses, the Woodfire Passiv from these guys:

http://www.firepowerheating.co.uk/hearth-and-homes-exhibition-2016

Seemed neat:

• 2kW room
  • 9 kW water
  • direct air only
  • room sealed

However it failed the SWMBO 'must look right' test - sorry no photo as the show had a big sign at the front entrance saying no photos allowed.

That'll be me back to square one then.

PS. I'm in no way associated with Firepower heating but they have been jolly helpful and seem a friendly bunch.

I wired a straw bale house that had one like this, at least similar output levels.  The idea was the high water output heated a large thermal store so you only needed to burn the stove every few days and the low room output was to try and ensure you didn't overheat the house when doing so.  I believe from the occupants it is working well, but it's situated in a large double height space that can stand a high heat input for a short time. Put it in a small room and you might have a problem.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I wired a straw bale house that had one like this, at least similar output levels.  The idea was the high water output heated a large thermal store so you only needed to burn the stove every few days and the low room output was to try and ensure you didn't overheat the house when doing so.  I believe from the occupants it is working well, but it's situated in a large double height space that can stand a high heat input for a short time. Put it in a small room and you might have a problem.

Yes but I think most people want a stove on the basis they sit down and see it working, as opposed to lighting it every few days.

There are others on the market with a similar output to room but a bit lower to water.