Plant hire insurance

Has anyone found a reputable company that can provide hire in plant insurance?  The hire company has said they can provide it, but it will be about £100 to £150 for a week, or I can simply take a punt or get my own.  Not willing to take the risk of not having insurance so was hoping I could find a company like one of those that provide collision damage waiver when you hire a rental car.

13 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have you thought of buying your own machine. 

I have considered buying a 2.7 tonne machine, but they are ~ 17k and the wife is having none of it.  I did a 3 day excavator course last week and I was using a Kobelco 1.7 tonne and that did the job ok, so not sure whether I really do need a 2.7t machine.

6 minutes ago, flanagaj said:

I have considered buying a 2.7 tonne machine, but they are ~ 17k and the wife is having none of it.  I did a 3 day excavator course last week and I was using a Kobelco 1.7 tonne and that did the job ok, so not sure whether I really do need a 2.7t machine.

Lots of nice machines around for £12000 ish. 
after 3 years you will get £10000 back on it. 

• Like 2

Also,.you will find 5t plus machines cheaper, as you can't tow them on trailers..factor in a transport cost and I reckon £10k will get you a great machine with good re sale costs..it will be cheaper than hiring, and a god send to have on site 24/7.

• Like 1

JCB Insurance were recommended to us but we never used them in the end - our ground worker hired the Telehandler so it went under their insurance. There’s lots you can’t control on a build but having the right insurance seems a no brainer to me. I wouldn’t risk not having it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jenki said:

Also,.you will find 5t plus machines cheaper, as you can't tow them on trailers..factor in a transport cost and I reckon £10k will get you a great machine with good re sale costs..it will be cheaper than hiring, and a god send to have on site 24/7.

Never considered a 5t one.  Thanks

Have a look on machinerytrader.co.uk you may find one local to you.

Cheaper to buy in the long run and get the attachments you need ie. pallet forks, ripper hook, riddle bucket, log splitter, thumb grab the list is endless.

I haven't used mine for two weeks, but now have to move 110 sqm of york stone now we have a break in the weather and I won't be tearing the ground up.

When I finally finish with mine and sell I'll probably loose 1k on it. Not bad for 3 years work.

Edited by twice round the block