how to fill gap between mvhr air vent and ceiling

Hi all, how have others filled this gap(see pic) between the vent and ceiling. It’s a bit big for a bead of silicone, expanding foam will be a right mess. Compriband might work… 

Just wanting to crowd source what others have had success (or not!) with. 
IMG_6439.thumb.jpeg.ca382225426fff354c2a58337bc8d18c.jpeg

Cheers

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Just wanting to crowd source what others have had success (or not!) with. 

Decent deep fill filler, couple of coats, deep fill to fill the gap and the second a fine filler to take up the shrinkage.

Your terminal will cover it also.

• Thanks 1

On 26/08/2024 at 15:45, Dave Jones said:

they come with metal plaster in terminals with a thread inside to screw the cap into and adjust flow etc.

what have you got ?

I think they are the more expensive upgrade ones. We have these that just push in. 

I know the vent will cover the holes but concerned about air tightness mainly… 

image.jpg

On 26/08/2024 at 17:46, Russell griffiths said:

For anybody doing this in the future, the better method is to cut the plenum tube flush with the plasterboard, then the plasterer will fill the gap when he skims the ceiling. 

Agreed! 

On 26/08/2024 at 17:17, Eric said:

A hole saw isn’t expensive & just leaves enough room for a bead of silicone.

The plenums were installed prior to plasterboard and the tackers did not cut tight enough. Would you fit the plenums after boarding? 

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The plenums were installed prior to plasterboard and the tackers did not cut tight enough. Would you fit the plenums after boarding? 

Yes, board ceilings then fit the plenums. Seal with silicone, cut plenum level with plasterboard.

I fitted plenums first then cut the plasterboard so it was tight to the plenums then the plasterer plastered up to the plenum which I then cut flush to the ceiling with a multitool. No filler needed 

32 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I know the vent will cover the holes but concerned about air tightness mainly…

Why? The plasterboard isn’t the airtight layer is it?

• Like 1

no need to cut anything if you use the correct terminal. the ones that fit the metal ducting were less than £3. We ran a batten noggin either side so the boarders had something to screw them too as if you did the job properly and filled the ceiling void with insulation it wants to push down on them so they need support to stop them popping out.

16 hours ago, Chanmenie said:

I fitted plenums first then cut the plasterboard so it was tight to the plenums then the plasterer plastered up to the plenum which I then cut flush to the ceiling with a multitool. No filler needed 

This is what I was doing but the tackers did not cut the board tight enough and so the plasterer couldn’t / didn’t skim right up to the plenum. 

On the gf there was no way of fitting the plenums after the plasterboard, they had to be in before. 

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

This is what I was doing but the tackers did not cut the board tight enough and so the plasterer couldn’t / didn’t skim right up to the plenum. 

Yeah that’s exactly why I did mine myself.

But I appreciate I am fortunate to have the time and skill to be able to do it.