New water connection. Expected costs?

I need to get on and get a new water meter connection installed, and I am unclear as to the most cost effective way of achieving this.  I have attached a site plan, and I have been told by the water provider that the mains runs along the line shown in blue.   I want to bring a new feed inside the boundary hedge and to fit a stand pipe so that the builders have water for construction.   Once ready, the trench to the house can be dug, and the pipe brought around to the back of the property and into the house.

Questions I have.

1)  Can the meter be installed first and I can then dig my trench and connect up to the meter?
2)  Do I have to use the network provider for digging the road and installing the meter, or can I use a third party provider.
3)  Expected costs to pay?  

image.thumb.png.e475bfe47fb7947cdfded3e7fe1afac0.png

Edited by flanagaj

I applied for a rural grant Which took the construction cost down to about £200 They installed an atlas box as a temporary connection I simply dug a trench and installed a stand pipe in a timber box made from Scaf planksNo charge for the water we used over the two years building 

• Like 1

My situation's a bit different, but this might help ... We're going to demolish the existing dwelling and build a new one. The water meter was in the existing house and needed to be relocated. At the same time, I wanted to put in a new 25 mm MDPE pipe, running about 15 m across the plot, from the new meter. I got a moling company to that for £780 + VAT. No need to dig a trench. The moling company made the new connection to the exiting stop tap with a suitable Atplas fitting for the new meter. UU then came along and fitted a new meter at the existing connection in the street. Cost was £183. The stop tap is in the pavement on our side of the street. 

In your situation, I'd start by talking to a moling company to get a price for the new line and stand pipe. They might have suggestions about the best way to approach the utility.

It was all cheaper than I expected.

Not your situation I know, but might be helpful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flanagaj said:

Questions I have.

1)  Can the meter be installed first and I can then dig my trench and connect up to the meter?
2)  Do I have to use the network provider for digging the road and installing the meter, or can I use a third party provider.
3)  Expected costs to pay?  

#

1. yes

2. no

3. £1 to £10000000 who knows, pay the fee and get a price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nod said:

I applied for a rural grant Which took the construction cost down to about £200 They installed an atlas box as a temporary connection I simply dug a trench and installed a stand pipe in a timber box made from Scaf planksNo charge for the water we used over the two years building 

Do you have a link to said rural grant?

1 hour ago, flanagaj said:

Do you have a link to said rural grant?

I don’t 

I contact our local authority they sent me a form

• Like 1

My new connections was in January this year and I had to have at least a the standpipe as Nod's picture with pipe going to the edge of the road for them to fit a meter to before they would fit the meter.  They sent someone out to check it was all to their spec a few days/weeks before they came to make the connection. If you contact whichever compnay supplies your water they will give you a quote and a list of their requirements, what you have to pay them for and what you can get other contractors to do. I dug the trench, fitted the stand pipe with a pipe going to a point they specified  My cost was about £3k with about half of that being the cost to close the road.

• Like 1