What colour to use where on interior face of dormer

Queenie

I am struggling to decide on paint colours for my upstairs bedroom which has a dormer window so therefore, sloping ceilings. I was thinking of two colours, but then seen online it says better to do one and let the natural light create the different tones. I'm open to suggestions, and I do like neutral/natural colours and thought I had chosen two I like (Dulux Ivory & Cookie Dough), but I'm scared now as I don't want them to be too dark! Advice, suggestions and photos of your own choices would be most helpful! Thanks in advance! 

dormer window view - white.jpg

Well I am a magnolia fan, all one colour will make it feel bigger, bring colour into the room with furniture, curtains etc, I believe you need to live in a room for a while before changing wall colours. 

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Well I am a magnolia fan, all one colour will make it feel bigger, bring colour into the room with furniture, curtains etc, I believe you need to live in a room for a while before changing wall colours. 

Other creams are available 😜

• Haha 1

I agree with @joe90 keeping a bedroom all one colour is a good idea, makes the space more relaxing as nothing wants attention it just all blends together. My furniture, curtains and bedding and even carpet are all a similar shade. 25% off paint mixing at B&Q at the moment if you fancy a farrow and ball colour on’t cheap!

11 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I agree with @joe90 keeping a bedroom all one colour is a good idea, makes the space more relaxing as nothing wants attention it just all blends together. My furniture, curtains and bedding and even carpet are all a similar shade. 25% off paint mixing at B&Q at the moment if you fancy a farrow and ball colour on’t cheap!

Paint buying tip - Farrow & Ball is now owned by Crown.  So open a trade account at your local Crown Decorating Centre (mine is happy to give the trade discount to self builders) & they will mix their excellent trade emulsion to the exact F&B colour using the code number off the F&B colour card.  And don't forget to reclaim the VAT from HMRC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shuff27 said:

Paint buying tip - Farrow & Ball is now owned by Crown.  So open a trade account at your local Crown Decorating Centre (mine is happy to give the trade discount to self builders) & they will mix their excellent trade emulsion to the exact F&B colour using the code number off the F&B colour card.  And don't forget to reclaim the VAT from HMRC.

Thats very interesting, I bought some Crown Trade paint recently (from DCO) mixed to an F&B colour, and was told that their mixing system doesn't allow an exact match due to the detection technology they use, whereas Johnstones which i also bought in an F&B colour does allow an exact match, so probably worth noting that Crown may not exactly match

Due to the nature of this scanning technology, Crown colour equivalents can vary from their respective swatches, therefore we recommend grabbing a tester pot to ensure your bespoke Crown colour is perfect for you.

Our Crown colour match service offers cutting edge colour scanning technology, which allows us to mix a bespoke equivalent colour for your paint shade of choice.
Our Crown colour equivalents are created by using a Spectro, which scans a swatch of your shade of choice and locates the nearest alternative colour, which can then be mixed into your chosen Crown paint finish.

In some circumstances there may be other colour / finish combinations that cannot be mixed, in these instances we will contact you promptly to advise if there is a limitation preventing the colour / finish combination. In most cases we can provide a closest match which is within 10% variance to the original colour selected, or suggest an alternative suitable finish. We will only ever do this with your prior agreement.

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

There's a difference between scanning a colour swatch and having the reference to the actual colour mix. The scan will always be approximate, but if your paint supplier has the actual mix of colours to make a specific brand/colour combination, they don't need to scan anything. If Crown now own F&B then they likely have full access to the actual mixes and won't need to scan anything.

I doubt any paint mixing service would guarantee an 'exact match' in its small print.  What I am certain of, having used both, is that 'trade' versions of paint from Crown, Dulux etc are better quality than their 'retail' versions available from the DIY sheds.

Thank you everybody. I will look into the Crown mix as I can open a trade account in my company name and it looks like the majority vote is to all one colour, keeping the room feeling light and airy. Much appreciated feedback everyone! 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shuff27 said:

I doubt any paint mixing service would guarantee an 'exact match' in its small print.  What I am certain of, having used both, is that 'trade' versions of paint from Crown, Dulux etc are better quality than their 'retail' versions available from the DIY sheds.

I was told this by my decorator too.

4 hours ago, shuff27 said:

Looks like F&B isn't actually owned by Crown, its owned by Hempel, and both Crown and F&B are their subsidiaries. Knowing what businesses are like, i would hazard a guess that both of these businesses will be completely separate entities, and won't have any dealings with each other, nor be allowed.

with the volumetric & single-angle spectro systems that are used for this kind of paint, matching will always be a bit more "approximate" than the gravimetric systems w/ multi-angle spectros that are used eg in the motor trade. With car colours, spectros trump original formulas now...

Whilst the F&B colours are certainly interesting, I found their paint awful to use - it's so thin. Had to use three coats of estate emulsion "Stifkey Blue" to get the effect. Now we use a Johnstones paint centre to match the colour as close as possible and use their trade emulsion which is much nicer to use.

• Like 1