Issue with mains water connection...option of borehole?!

Good Evening, looking for some advice or anyone that has been in a similar situation. Bought our plot of land and as part of the checks we did pre-purchasing, we ensured we could connect to all services within budget. South East Water quoted us to connect to the water mains which we were satisfied with. Now the build has started, we have asked South East Water to commence work and they have come back and said that it will cost us >10 times their original quote to connect us to the water mains (mainly due to traffic management). We are currently looking into using a third party for traffic management, as this is where the bulk of the cost is coming from, but if we are unable to bring costs down, we will need to look at alternatives to getting water to site e.g. borehole. Does anyone have a borehole and can you advise on company to use or factors to consider? Or anyone been in a similar situation to us and have advice on how to proceed? Thank you in advance.

Where are you? Most private water supply companies are relatively small operations so not national. 

we have a borehole so have reasonable knowledge of them. 

How much is 10 times their original estimate? Boreholes aren’t a cheap option either. 

Edited by Kelvin

Unless you are crossing a motorway, traffic management will be cheaper than a borehole. If you can post more details, e.g. their design / map that would be a help.

We have a borehole also. Main connection although very near close, came with issues. So went borehole.

Our company would not drill or price until their water diviner had been. It was ace to watch, within 10 mins of being on site, he said we will drill here, first water will be at 8m (I think), ignore and the second water will be at 34m. Within a metre when it came to drilling. 

Costs, drilling isn't that expensive it's the liners they need to add, and it really depends on how much steel ones they need, compared to plastic. Every hole is different.

Then you need, pump, accumulator and filter system. And serviced each year. Ours worked out cheaper than mains connection, and annual service is way cheaper than water costs here and have better tasting water (no chlorine)

To give you some idea of borehole costs. 

The cost to drill our hole, liners etc was £18,000. It’s 147m deep. It was a condition of sale that the vendor had to find a plentiful supply of potable water so this cost was borne by them. 

I subsequently got various quotes for the plant equipment necessary based on the water analysis and our water supply yield results. The plant needed was: a water softener, pump controls, 2 filters, pump (from garage to house), 1200 litre water tank, two UV lights (we have an unsoftened drinking water tap) Quotes were: 

1. £24,000 - Highwater

2. £11,000 - one man band with a good reputation 

3. £10,000 - Filpumps

We went with Filpumps. 

In addition you need to do all the groundworks, borehole headworks chamber, and electrical connection. That was another £750 although I did much of that myself. 

As said, every hole is different. Water treatments are expensive. You might be lucky and just need filters and a UV light. You might be unlucky and need a whole load more plus a big holding tank. The equipment also requires space to house it. Best case it all fits in a kiosk type box worst case you need a separate outbuilding/shed. Ours is in the garage but of house separately it would need a fairly big shed circa 8’x6’. 

You might not have a plot suitable for a borehole. Also finding enough water isn’t guaranteed. While we have a decent supply it’s way below typical. Our borehole recharges very slowly for example hence why we have such a big water tank. 

Given a choice I’d probably prefer to be on mains since you’re guaranteed a supply. There’s a certain risk with a private water supply and there are a few horror stories around where I live regarding them. 

Edited by Kelvin

Ours a little different in cost, but much less deep 

Borehole and lining

£5000

Borehole pump, submersible cable & stainless steel wire.

Steel well cap.

Pipe work & fittings at borehole.

Pressure vessels & controls.

40 litres per minute system 

£1800

Backwashing iron reduction filter.
Backwashing turbidity filter.
Stainless steel ultraviolet steriliser.
Sediment pre filter housing kit.

£1750.

So around £8600 total.

Edited by JohnMo

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Given a choice I’d probably prefer to be on mains since you’re guaranteed a supply.

Our neighbours have had around 3x 24 hour water outages, main water leaks and fixing, since we moved in, so far none for us.

Thank you all for replying so promptly.  To answer some questions: 

• We are based in Hampshire
  • The original quote from South East Water was £10,000 to connect our site to the mains water supply.  The new quote from them is almost £150,000. 
  • The mains water is across the other side of the road which is an A road
  • Most of the cost is in traffic management. 
  • We will investigate a third party to do moling - thank you for suggestion

Thank you for the approximate costs of boreholes.  

3 minutes ago, Scures_Selfbuild said:

The new quote from them is almost £150,000. 

Ouch.   and even then it wont it won't be reliable?

We have a quote of about £3k but crossing a B road which they are just going to close for the day, as they do.

Rainwater harvester with 10m3 capacity so that not a drop is lost? depends on roof area of course.

No, a borehole seems the way ahead.  

5 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Our neighbours have had around 3x 24 hour water outages, main water leaks and fixing, since we moved in, so far none for us.

I mean over the lifetime of the house. Boreholes might rarely run dry but they can run dry. We have a neighbour who is currently having this problem with their 20 year old borehole. 

3 hours ago, Scures_Selfbuild said:

• The original quote from South East Water was £10,000 to connect our site to the mains water supply.  The new quote from them is almost £150,000. 

That's crazy. I assume 25mm MDPE service? What's the length? 

If it’s highways costs, are you also having an electric connection? I had to pay each service to close the road and then was reimbursed by the water co because they shared the trench. They won’t set it up differently because of the jeopardy, so at my risk. 

8 hours ago, Scures_Selfbuild said:

Yikes. Dont tell the moling company what they quoted. 

Some recent figures here...

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/moling-under-road-and-subsoiling-water-pipe-through-field.403469/