Bookcase Systems (ideally Oak finish) - anyone with experience?

Fallingditch

I've got a problem with acoustics.

We've built a large 10m x 8m open plan kitchen, and we've got a lot of echoes.

One of the ways we plan to mitigate this is to fit bookcases in the corners. (Wall mounted acoustic panels and carpets are also on the To Do list). Then again, we've got quite a lot of books, so we will need to install a few bookcases in other rooms in the house too.

All the doors in the house are oak veneer (very happy with what Doordeals Sheffield supplied),  which means that ideally we want the bookcases to be oak veneered too. Here's an example of an oak door next to an alcove:

IMG_20171028_075127.thumb.jpg.6c1a05d3058f7d0801370646f560107e.jpg

Question: does anyone have experience of buying and using bookcase/shelving systems? ideally with an oak veneer option?

(I have noticed that Regalraum, a company based in Germany but targeting the UK market is offering a lot of options in this space).

Ikea - Billy, everybody's favourite book case. Available in oak we had loads of them for the several thousand books we own and they are, well 12 of them, all behind and beside me lining the walls of my study - I stacked them two high in here and have a ladder to access the top ones - its 4.6 Meters to the ceiling! Needless to say they are bolted to the walls.

+1 to Billy ! They are easily built and can be changed about if needed. There is very little on show of a book case when it’s full of books so unless you are wanting to replicate the Bodleian there isn’t a big need to go for expensive ones.  

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Ikea - Billy, everybody's favourite book case. Available in oak we (have) 12 of them, all behind and beside me lining the walls of my study - I stacked them two high in here and have a ladder to access the top ones - its 4.6 Meters to the ceiling! Needless to say they are bolted to the walls.

This deserves a picture, Mike? :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

I've got a problem with acoustics.

We've built a large 10m x 8m open plan kitchen, and we've got a lot of echoes.

One of the ways we plan to mitigate this is to fit bookcases in the corners. (Wall mounted acoustic panels and carpets are also on the To Do list). Then again, we've got quite a lot of books, so we will need to install a few bookcases in other rooms in the house too.

All the doors in the house are oak veneer (very happy with what Doordeals Sheffield supplied),  which means that ideally we want the bookcases to be oak veneered too. Here's an example of an oak door next to an alcove:

IMG_20171028_075127.thumb.jpg.6c1a05d3058f7d0801370646f560107e.jpg

Question: does anyone have experience of buying and using bookcase/shelving systems? ideally with an oak veneer option?

(I have noticed that Regalraum, a company based in Germany but targeting the UK market is offering a lot of options in this space).

OT.

FOUR hinges on the door? Wow.

I am just putting in some of those and have gone for 3 x 3" ball-bearing hinges.

My doors are 30kg - how much do those Firedoors weigh?

F

Edited by Ferdinand

12 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

As ever, the way will probably be to buy somebody else's entire study.

Not sure anybody would want to buy my study - here is a corner, best I can get without a fisheye lens, of what I think of / know is a typical academics (Retired in my case) study. Looking at it you can tell a lot about me from the books, although as there are 2.5 other walls so you would need the whole thing to get a complete picture.

20171028_120414.jpg

Edited by MikeSharp01
Decided retired was better than former.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

My doors are 30kg - how much do those Firedoors weigh?

Er, heavier than that but don't have details to hand.

http://www.doordeals.co.uk/products/internal-doors/internal-fire-doors/internal-oak-suffolk-firedoor.aspx 

If its important, give them a quick ring their Sales Support is very good.