Just Finished - Thanks for all the Help and Advice !

Hi All

Well its been quite a journey ...

House is finished (a year after moving in!!) with only the never ending snag list to sort ...

Thanks for all those who have posted and replied to my many questions 

Bob (now an officially retired self builder !)

housev3.jpg

housev2.jpg

housev1.jpg

• Like 26

9 hours ago, goodbyegti said:

I love the flint work! A stunning effort all round.

Couldn't agree more. Stunning. Great work Bob.

Have you ever discussed the project details and financials on Buildhub? Would be great to understand a little more about the project, layout, size, and build costs

2 hours ago, garrymartin said:

Couldn't agree more. Stunning. Great work Bob.

Have you ever discussed the project details and financials on Buildhub? Would be great to understand a little more about the project, layout, size, and build costs

It is a timber frame with passive principles applied (sensibly!)  , Aluminium roof (part slate), ASHP / UFH / Triple glazing, totalling about 6000sq ft over three stories plus garage - all done with day rate subbies and frame company - we PM'ed and did the demo, site prep, garden and about 12moths labouring plus H&S ourselves - Flint was on surecav and cladding cyberian larch 

More than happy to answer any questions 

Bob 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bob the builder 2 said:

It is a timber frame with passive principles applied (sensibly!)  , Aluminium roof (part slate), ASHP / UFH / Triple glazing, totalling about 6000sq ft over three stories plus garage - all done with day rate subbies and frame company - we PM'ed and did the demo, site prep, garden and about 12moths labouring plus H&S ourselves - Flint was on surecav and cladding cyberian larch 

More than happy to answer any questions 

Bob 

Oh, and I know most peeps are too polite to ask, but what sort of overall cost (after vat reclaim) are you looking at?  We’re following a similar approach on a much smaller scale and actually achieved cost, even when build detail is very different, is informative. 

HI - here is a snap of the cladding - its Siberian larch (which we just managed to get before stocks dried up) - from recollection its 70mm-x20mm board on board - spent ages working through style options and ended up matching a national trust property building in Ireland that had its own saw mill - so its the smallest cheapest way to go but i think also has the nicest look bar a shadow gap which is another long story !

IMG_6505.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bob the builder 2 said:

HI - here is a snap of the cladding - its Siberian larch (which we just managed to get before stocks dried up) - from recollection its 70mm-x20mm board on board - spent ages working through style options and ended up matching a national trust property building in Ireland that had its own saw mill - so its the smallest cheapest way to go but i think also has the nicest look bar a shadow gap which is another long story !

IMG_6505.jpg

It looks lovely.  Have you a cross section of the eaves showing the hidden guttering and associated detail?

So, @bob the builder 2, tell me about your drive edging.

What height is that steel edging you have used (ie. how deep does it go?) and what's it set in? I'd convinced myself I couldn't get away with staking it into the earth and would need a mortar base.

In fact, have you got a section of the build up, including edge detail. Is the topping granite chipping? 

image.thumb.jpeg.9a83fb84748ae46b6f2793aaecac4779.jpeg

Posted (edited)

here are a couple of snaps - i have been fitting into chalk with no issues 

its called everedge and i believe this is the 3mm thick 200mm wide 

you can go thinner / less wide if its not going to be driven on by the over eager amazon driver !

you can see the type 1 in this picture making up the sub base  - we have black granite booked to fill out another 20mm  leaving c 20mm exposed 

Note - make sure you get sharp stone and not round (if you are not going for granite) as this will not work as well for a driveway with any type of slope like me

IMG_6507.jpg

Edited by bob the builder 2
more detail
  • Thanks 1

hidden gutter detail included - just make sure

1) air flow (see blue) (note thid design is breaking rule 2 below) 

2) Outer side is lower than inner side (to ensure water flows over the side of the house not into it it the drain blocks)

TBH this was a major faf and i am still biting my nails about a blockage !

Bob 

3CEFE972-72DC-449B-B0D2-A90BA24A3A17.JPG

example hidden gutter detail.pdf

12 hours ago, bob the builder 2 said:

2) Outer side is lower than inner side (to ensure water flows over the side of the house not into it it the drain blocks)

Bob 

example hidden gutter detail.pdf 408.37 kB · 6 downloads

Thank you, very illuminating.   Hidden gutters do rather complicate things.

13 hours ago, bob the builder 2 said:

Bob 

example hidden gutter detail.pdf 408.37 kB · 6 downloads

that detail would keep me up at night come the autumn and leaves blowing about.

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

that detail would keep me up at night come the autumn and leaves blowing about.

Specifically worrying about water ingress into your wall?

Looks fab, well done. 

How much of the work did you do yourself? 

Would second the request for ideas of cost per sq. m. If that is OK.  Would fully understand if this is something you would rather not divulge.