This is taking the P..... surely?

This is a DanWood house so the shell is complete, finished internally, plumbed etc. We didn't want their stairs as they were open riser and couldn't have their doors and skirtings as we didn't want their floor coverings either. So we have carpenters in fixing linings, hanging doors, architraves and skirtings, installing our stairs etc. whilst we are still in the static.

Our furniture and other belongings had been in a container on site, but as soon as we got the house handed over we stacked everything into the living room and the study. The other day I found two of our decent dining room chairs had been fished out and were being used for break times. Today takes the biscuit.... On an expensive glass shelved display unit I found all his power tools - planer, drill, charger, nail gun etc etc nicely displayed and available for immediate use..... I politely pointed out that he really ought to clear them off before my wife came back from work at lunchtime 'cos she's a lot scarier than me!

Talk about make yourself at home, I suppose we should be thankful the beds are at the back of the room!

7 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Yes it is, but why did you bring in furniture before the house was finished?

Exactly 

They probably think Why’s he dumped all this S**t in our way 😁

Because we were paying hundreds of pounds a month to hire the containers since we moved onto the site, it was all in one room and no it wasn't in their way for fixing skirtings. It isn't a building site - the kitchen's in, all the walls are painted, the bathrooms are plumbed, tiled and usable...... just need the skirtings and doors so it can be carpeted.

CouldntGiveAFookitis is so common among trades in our sector. 

It's taken us 8 years to find a good group of trades folk who do what they say they will do when they say they will. And whom we can trust with house keys. 

One ( the plasterer) even hoovers up after himself. He drops in for a cuppa on his way past. He charges about 10 percent more than others. Cheap at that price.

Edited by ToughButterCup

I know what you mean.  It's not big things, but it's about treating other people's stuff with a bit of respect.  As galling as it was, I came to the conclusion that I should expect everything on site to be considered as 'theirs to use' by trades.  My wheelbarrow went off to another job and never came back.  Plumbers left used teabags every where and burnt rubbish on site.  Brickies even cut my broom handle down to use as a pointing tool ffs...

On 17/07/2024 at 06:17, ToughButterCup said:

CouldntGiveAFookitis is so common among trades in our sector. 

It sure is. The trouble is most trades see a self build as being no different to a larger site. To us though it's our house set in our garden (or what will be a garden). It's frustrating then to find rubbish just lobbed into the bushes, buckets washed out wherever they want and as @Roundtuit says them treating anything on site as fair game for their use. Can't get over all those tools on display though - it looked like a dewalt showroom........

Different animal im afraid. They seem to not notice the difference between working on a developers site to working on the more personal build. I would check where they have been peeing and chucking their rubbish 😂 God forbid you berrate them, it will be tools down. Have you got dust sheets to cover the lot, it may seem a bit more off bounds then, if its covered

That's bloody annoying for sure. Let them know it's your home and they're expected to treat it with the respect they would afford their own. 

However there's too sides to the story. Find an unfinished uncluttered room that they can lob a sheet of OSB on a few saw horses as a work bench. £50 buys a plastic table and some chairs and give them access to a W/C with strict  instructions that it's to be kept spotless or you'll charge them handsomely for cleaning it. 

Carrot and stick if you will.