Porotherm construction

flanagaj

I saw an interesting video on Skill Builder of them using Porotherm.  I liked the simplicity and how easy it is for a novice to use them.  Just wondering whether anyone has utilised them in their build and if so, what was your experience and how do they compare cost wise to standard blocks.

They are a Mediterranean thing. They work well in keeping the sun's heat out of a house, because they cool again at night. But not so great at keeping heat inside a house. 

Also good for rendering.

There is a place for them, but in UK the normal materials are likely to be better value.

• Like 1

Normal blocks aren't that hard if you take your time. 

However by the time I had built our house, our block-layer would have completed the great wall of China. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, flanagaj said:

liked the simplicity and how easy it is for a novice to use them

We went woodcrete ICF because it's an easy DIY option. Very little support required for the concrete pours. Build 6 rows high, fill with concrete 5.5 blocks high - repeat.  Basic tools required. Good U values out the box.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Normal blocks aren't that hard if you take your time. 

However by the time I had built our house, our block-layer would have completed the great wall of China. 

😂

19 hours ago, JohnMo said:

We went woodcrete ICF because it's an easy DIY option. Very little support required for the concrete pours. Build 6 rows high, fill with concrete 5.5 blocks high - repeat.  Basic tools required. Good U values out the box.

Do you happen to know how the cost compares /m2 relative to a standard concrete block wall?

4 minutes ago, flanagaj said:

Do you happen to know how the cost compares /m2 relative to a standard concrete block wall?

Sorry no. A long time ago I did a post on here what it me, but never compared to any other build method. But two of us neither done it before, took about 4 weeks to build our walls. 70m perimeter and and average of 3m tall, with quite a few changes of direction on the front wall, which fiddle and time consuming.

• Like 1