Current market for builders/traders and material costs (Jun 24)

Hi, 

Despite getting planning permission we put out plans on hold due to a combination of astronomical quotes and availability for trades and materials. 

What's the current situation? We're in East Anglia and have heard that brickies are quiet (apparently they're the bellweather trade that'll filter down later). 

Are there material groups that have/are coming down at all, and is there any softening of demand?

Edit: I'm only asking as I want to go back out to look at the scheme, but no point (and wastes time) if everything is as nuts as 18 months ago. 

Edited by LaCurandera

Materials have come down 

Especially timber 

Building trade is much quieter than this time last year So trade lead times should be less Wages haven’t and won’t drop anytime soon 

Though TF companies ramped there prices up due to ridiculous timber price 

So they should reduce there quotes 

But probably won’t for one off small jobs 

2 minutes ago, nod said:

Though TF companies ramped there prices up due to ridiculous timber price 

So they should reduce there quotes 

But probably won’t for one off small jobs 

I'm going to the MBC Timber Frame Open Day / Factory Tour on 13th July - I'll ask them the question 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garrymartin said:

I'm going to the MBC Timber Frame Open Day / Factory Tour on 13th July - I'll ask them the question 😉

They should 

At least 30% has come off timber 

5 hours ago, LaCurandera said:

brickies are quiet (apparently they're the bellweather trade

In my experience they get used to £x  a day and ' won't get out of bed for less'.

This takes about 4 months of hanging around at home until they are told to swallow their pride and earn some money.

That was in proper recessions though. I feel that now they will be somewhere between:  having some slack time, but not cutting their prices.

5 hours ago, LaCurandera said:

Hi, 

Despite getting planning permission we put out plans on hold due to a combination of astronomical quotes and availability for trades and materials. 

What's the current situation? We're in East Anglia and have heard that brickies are quiet (apparently they're the bellweather trade that'll filter down later). 

Are there material groups that have/are coming down at all, and is there any softening of demand?

Edit: I'm only asking as I want to go back out to look at the scheme, but no point (and wastes time) if everything is as nuts as 18 months ago. 

Hi @LaCuranderabuilt in East Anglia during the nuts period and found then as it is very much today a buyer beware market, i had various estimates from  trades who clearly didn't want the work but would be happy to do it at an inflated price , not sure how you are doing your build,  one main contractor or individual trades with some diy for the simple stuff but if going trade by trade no harm getting new estimates for each part of the build and if you wish you can always post them on here and will always receive feedback as to whether or not it represents fair value for the job. 

Edited by Buzz

• 2 months later...
On 17/06/2024 at 16:04, garrymartin said:

@garrymartin Interested to know what they said.  My last quote from them for our 180sqm two storey home was £132k for the passive frame, and £44k for the passive foundation. £20k less for the High Performance frame. 

• Like 1