Hmmm, when SWMBO comes in to my workshop and says something about my new cross-cut saw - and then asks how much it cost -  I have learned to ask her to remind me how much the (say) granite worktop cost, or the new Gaggenau this-or-that cost .... 

7 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Hmmm, when SWMBO comes in to my workshop and says something about my new cross-cut saw - and then asks how much it cost -  I have learned to ask her to remind me how much the (say) granite worktop cost, or the new Gaggenau this-or-that cost .... 

I have learnt that it’s not a competition…

54 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

granite worktop cost

The cost of my shiny granite worktop is constant polishing.  Never again.

I like it to work on but boy is it high maintenance.  

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

when SWMBO comes in to my workshop and says something about my new cross-cut saw - and then asks how much it cost

We have an allowance each, I spend it whatever projects/tools I want she spends it on clothes etc. I don't bother what she spends her money on, she doesn't care what I spend my money on. Works well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Polishing? Wet cloth. Done. Occasionally diluted lemon juice. 

I bleedin wish.

We have highly polished granite.  When clean it looks lovely.  However, after cleaning one has to wait at least 4 minutes before realising that some dust has settled and some finger marks have appeared.  It doesn’t help that our kitchen chairs, on which we spend hours most days drinking coffee and generally avoiding chores, are such that one’s eyeline is just perfect for seeing all said crumbs, dust, et al.

Shiny worktops. Just say NO!

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

There is a reason we have dull stainless steel at work.

My wife is constantly asking for a worktop that actually stands up to use and abuse without staining and deterioration and looks nice - noen of the ones we've had so far stand up to her test. I keep on telling her that the only way to got is stainless steel (barring a bit of scratching over time which I think is just natural patina). One, day I'll get my way, I'm sure. I miss stainless worktops.

In the last place I did get some stainless faced drawer fronts that were really nice with oak.

Edited by SimonD

There was a programme on the TV about this and various types were tested (I can’t remember stainless being one tho) and value for money ordinary composite came out best and I agree, it’s fairly easy to replace and trends change so updating does not cost the earth. A mottled non high gloss finish I have found best for keeping clean and tidy.

Or don’t fret so much about it. Especially crumbs and a bit of dust as any worktop will show that. Just wait until you start building and watch the dust build up on every surface then 😂 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Or don’t fret so much about it.

We have a reconstituted granite one, where bits of salmon look exactly like pink the bits of stone. It never looks dirty, but never looks sparkling. suits me.