Practicalities of Static on site

For those of you that have done this or are living in one now.

# How do you manage the washing machine ? not all caravans have one installed.

# If we go the Static on site route we will be about 100 feet from the electrical point and water standpipe. I wonder that this might be too far for some reason.

# How close to the actual construction works is 'too dam close' ?

If you can get or build a small shelter or shed for the washing machine you'll likely be glad of it. It would take up valuable space and produce noise in a caravan. 

I can't think of a reason that 100ft would be a problem for water or electric, assuming the wires/pipes are suitable spec'd and installed.

We were about 80m away, which was good. Wouldn't want to be really close, but depends on the site etc. Big lorries, diggers, things falling off scaffolding need to be considered. And if you have kids, that's another factor.

First build (21 years ago now) static caravan with a WM squeezed in inside, and an adjacent shed for the tumble dryer and storage

Second build, we did not move into the caravan until the house shell was built, so a WC and laundry was set up in the house shell plus an office space and plenty of storage.

I have lived in two statics during renovation then build, I was on my own during both (which helps) first one had a W/M in the van and the whole damn caravan shook when it was on spin, second one I R@R at weekends back in the house I was yet to sell which had the W/M etc (Van was really site facilities but ok for me to live In during the week.). I am sure with family it’s a different story and one that depends on the ability to slum it for a while for the greater good of completing a self build. My electricity and water was well over 100ft away, no problem, when the van was removed they became an outside socket and tap in the garden.

Edited by joe90

We have an additional shed 4x6m washing machine in it, fridge freezer, kettle and microwave for my lunch so I don’t go indoors covered in muck, small fridge and toaster, we also have an outdoor toilet. 

I leave our cabin at 8 in the morning and don’t need to go back into it all day, so muck stays out and cabin is a nice place to live in. 

water and electric you can run anywhere, poo pipe will need thinking about a bit more. 

make this comfortable with a little patio and chairs outside, I bet you any money you want you will be living in it longer than you think. 

Thanks so much for the responses guys. We had considered a little shed just outside the caravan for the washing machine. Trying to squeeze one into the caravan near to the sink might be possible but not easy.

We have 2 options, one van at 12' wide without Washing machine and a second nicer one at 14' with a washing machine but 50% more expensive and possibly too large to deliver to site up the country lanes.

Glad the water and electric are not considered an issue. Poo pipe should be ok, there is a foul drain run and access cover very close.

I built another building for Washing / dryer / power. This is now the amenity block for the cabins we rent out.  Storage is the main issue on site, especially when weather is inclement, so as @Russell griffiths says go big with the shed.

I managed to be out of the static in 16 months before the  second winter, but keeping the wet clothes etc out (we didn't manage this) would be essential.

We went cheap on the static, for budget reasons and motivation, I wanted to a reason to get up and get out, and for us it worked.  

I wanted my build up and done ASAP, We were building it ourselves full time so that was the choice we made, the static was a place to eat, wash, and get our head down.  Be realistic with the reality especially if you are dependant on other people. 

It looks like i seriously underestimated how long it would take to get a water and electrical connection. 3-4 months apparently. I was sure i had read elsewhere and some months ago that it was about 3-4 weeks.

Anyway, it rules out a static on site as i need to move out of my current house in 6 weeks. Private rental it is.