Posted (edited)

I'm having a groundwork company come and stick me some foundations in and they have asked for a £1000 deposit via bank transfer. I assume this is pretty standard practice to show that im not a time waster but can i do it in a way that actually provides me some protection?. 

ive had a few quotes for the work and they were 'middle of the road' pricewise. but it seems to be a 1 man band type company.  in the first instance it was a 1 month or so waiting list and now its turned into, we can start whenever you like, which has made me a bit more suspicious. the guy did come out to price up the work and he seemed OK, no irish accent 😬 etc..

Edited by gaz_moose

12 minutes ago, gaz_moose said:

can i do it in a way that actually provides me some protection?. 

No. Unless you have a contract.

He doesn't trust you, or runs off with the cash.

You don't trust him. So he won't start the work.

Some compromise perhaps.

Tell us more. What is the nature of the work and the approx contract sum?

22 minutes ago, gaz_moose said:

I'm having a groundwork company come and stick me some foundations in and they have asked for a £1000 deposit via bank transfer. I assume this is pretty standard practice to show that im not a time waster but can i do it in a way that actually provides me some protection

No, not really, I paid everything in arrears except the roof rafters etc, I actually paid that the moment the lorry pulled up to our drive.

When I was self employed I asked for a sum to cover initial materials but all labour afterwards. When building I paid my contractor in stages (immediately). 

ive got this old knackered double concrete garage with an asbestos roof, the quote is £8k to remove roof, knock it down, dig up the crappy slab, lay new foundations and do brickwork upto damp proof course level.  quote also includes materials / disposal of old stuff. 

he has sent over a contract with payment terms etc..

Payment Terms:

Payment 1 – Deposit £1,000 (Due now to confirm booking)

Payment 2 – Garage dismantled - £1,000

Payment 3 – Foundations dug - £2,000

Payment 4 – Concrete poured to foundations - £2,000

Payment 5 – Concrete poured to floor pad -£1,000

Payment 6 – Built to damp - £1,000

but then part of me thinks, what if he just does 1 and 2, then I've just paid 2 grand to pay a labourer a weeks work 😂. but i guess that is just how it is.

i figured i would get the foundation guy to build it upto damp so it should be level, instead of them just slapping the concrete in the hole and leaving it for the next guy. 

18 minutes ago, gaz_moose said:

ive got this old knackered double concrete garage with an asbestos roof, the quote is £8k to remove roof, knock it down, dig up the crappy slab, lay new foundations and do brickwork upto damp proof course level.  quote also includes materials / disposal of old stuff. 

he has sent over a contract with payment terms etc..

Payment Terms:

Payment 1 – Deposit £1,000 (Due now to confirm booking)

Payment 2 – Garage dismantled - £1,000

Payment 3 – Foundations dug - £2,000

Payment 4 – Concrete poured to foundations - £2,000

Payment 5 – Concrete poured to floor pad -£1,000

Payment 6 – Built to damp - £1,000

but then part of me thinks, what if he just does 1 and 2, then I've just paid 2 grand to pay a labourer a weeks work 😂. but i guess that is just how it is.

i figured i would get the foundation guy to build it upto damp so it should be level, instead of them just slapping the concrete in the hole and leaving it for the next guy. 

Contracts are a two way street, not a one way street. If you don't like the terms, propose something different, he can take it or leave it or counter propose. 

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

except the roof rafters etc, I actually paid that the moment the lorry pulled up to our drive

The original proposal was I paid for materials weeks ahead of delivery, but negotiated to day of delivery, prior to entering site. Both parties happy.

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Contracts are a two way street, 

you do have a point 😁 

i suppose if he does a vanishing act after receiving the deposit i have some evidence.

3 hours ago, Conor said:

when they show on site.

That was one of my thoughts on a compromise .

In theory they could still just scarper, but that must be your call.