Locks

Mikey_1980

Just thought I would post this idea, for those buying foreign made doors think about buying a spare set of locks for the doors if they aren't something readily available in the UK. Internorm use 115mm euro cylinders which can take up to 1-3 weeks to get hold of and the existing locks can't be re-keyed by a locksmith.  If you ever get broken into and find a spare set of keys has been stolen and you want to replace your locks quickly in case they decide to come back then its very difficult to sort it out quickly.

Unfortunately I am speaking from experience, and the cost of around £60 per additional lock is probably worth the piece of mind should the worst happen.

• Like 1

I've got 5 doors with external locks and...5 sets of keys. One of a plethora of things that I should have had the opportunity to spec when ordering windows and doors. 

I'm planning ordering matching locks for them all one day - but think it'll be pricey. Don't think I would order two of each, but based on this, it's a good shout and I'll order a 'spare' lock for the main door with different key should it be needed. 

I wonder if your traditional locksmith can help?

I changed ours to keyed-alike via our local hardware shop, and it was about £40 per lock for 3 cylinders with slightly different mm measurements (eg 50/50 and 55/45).

On the LBB this was one I *did* remember, and I now have 12 hosuekeys, but I forgot to ask for thumb turn locks.

Ferdinand

My Internorm doors were delivered without any locks. By the time I checked the doors it was too late and they didn't want to know. I fitted Mul-T-Lock locks to both the Internorm doors and the porch door and had them keyed alike. Makes life a bit easier.

9 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

My Internorm doors were delivered without any locks. 

WTAF? Was it the agent that was disinterested and/or Internorm themselves? 

Were locks specified on the window schedule or other docs?

115 or 60/55 Euro Lock’s are now fairly common - I use a place in Liverpool and get keyed alike and master keyed locks without a problem. 

I prefer master locked ones ones as it means you can give one key to someone and it doesn’t allow access elsewhere. 

The locks fitted to Lathams steel doors come with a master, two “fitters keys” and 5 ordinary keys. If you use the master it disables the two temporary keys and then only the ordinary ones work. I’d like to see if these are available for normal doors as it would help in a lot of situations.  

26 minutes ago, jack said:

WTAF? Was it the agent that was disinterested and/or Internorm themselves? 

Were locks specified on the window schedule or other docs?

It was in the purchase agreement that I would check the doors and report anything missing within 14 days. I didn't, so it was my fault. Neither the supplier nor Internorm were interested.

Try finding decent 45mm/100mm Euro lock barrels (145mm long overall).  I lost a set of keys when we were building the house, so ended up having to buy new barrels for the locks.  I hunted high and low for decent quality 100/45 ones, before just getting a replacement set from the door manufacturer.

Seems not many people have doors that need a 145mm long barrel.................