Please help with Research on Self/Custom-Build motivations, attitudes & sustainable design choices

I have been interested in self-build for many years and will start my own project in the near future. In the meantime, I recently embarked on a MSc in Environmental Psychology at Surrey University looking at many aspects of human behaviour and experience in the built and natural environment. For my dissertation project, I am looking at - you've guessed it - self-build; in particular, underlying psychological motivations for a build and how this translates practically to design choices, especially aspects relating to sustainability and energy efficiency. Please complete my short, anonymous survey (10 mins) and share your experiences.

As you will be aware, the UK self-build market plays a small but important role in the supply of new housing stock and leads the way in improving quality and sustainability standards. The Richard Bacon (MP) review from 2021 has raised the profile of the important role of self-builders, the right to build register and numerous other aspects, although not much has changed on the ground from what I can see. Nevertheless, self-builders are still managing to get projects started and completed and I would be extremely grateful if any of you who have either completed or commenced your own self/custom build would spend a few moments completing my survey by clicking on the QR code below. Or use the URL direct.

https://surreyfahs.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3Q0AQK2oW2enwii

QRSurvey.thumb.jpg.34829bc8d1d4acef88829651f6925eb7.jpgSurveyFlyer.thumb.jpg.fc1598f33c2bf67761e2dc63656df654.jpg

Many thanks and I look forward to mining the vast resources on this site.

Linda P

image.png

Please provide a proper URL so I can do the survey on a proper computer.

Only providing a QR code means you can only do it on a phone and I hate pretending a phone is a proper computer.

I wonder how many others won't do the survey because there is no URL to enable them do complete it on a real computer?

15 minutes ago, garrymartin said:

On some platforms, using Chrome, you can right-click the image and select "Search Image with Google". Alternatively, you can click "Search by Image" on the main Google search page and paste the QR code in.

For now, the URL is https://surreyfahs.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3Q0AQK2oW2enwii

Thank you survey now completed.

I am happy to complete a survey but could not be bothered to be a detective first to find the damned thing.

• Haha 1

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED THE SURVEY!

As per Twice Round the Block - Exactly - Usually a combination of finances, time availability and risk appetite. There's a reason most of my respondents are in 55-60 age bracket - life experience (know what they want and have some means to achieve it) but also may have more time as perhaps no longer actively raising family or on early career trajectory (given that projects are generally years long in conception and execution). But only c.6% of UK land buildable for resi (c.6% for commercial/infrastructure/everything else), and in South East, it is hugely competitive with commercial developers...

Done. For the project that starts now, not the one that is finishing

@LindaP

Interesting. I didn't understand some of the questions, which suggests we see sustainability differently.

I've found that before. My company entered a sustainability award process once, and they told me after that 2 of the judges gave 100% because of innovation, attitude and leading the way, whereas 2 gave low marks because they didn't understand that efficient design is saving materials (and carbon) and because we weren't using wind turbines, solar panels gshp etc.

The next ear I made it easy for them, explaining every decision and colour coding.

For example the question on how much we were spending on sustainability. Nothing is my real answer, as it is all designed with sustainability in mind. How do you put a cost against not doing something, or making use of the existing structure in a novel way.

You include gshp but we know that many are installed where they shouldn't be. So is it the decision to do something that interests you most, or the best decision?

The end of the building's life could be an interesting question too. is it going to be easy to dismantle and recycle? where does the eps go? 

We are not installing solar. does that count against us? Or is it  a pragmatic decision that it will require carbon to make it, and to reinforce the roof, that may never be recovered in energy harvesting

I wonder how different the answers from BH will be to those who are less hand-on and less technical. eg having a house built completely by others.

I am not criticising. It has made me think how difficult it is for you to set these questions, and that we are not all aiming for the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

How do you put a cost against not doing something

Easy, when 'valuing natural resources' we do it all the time.

So as an example, and appropriate down here, you ask how much people are willing to pay to have access to a beach, and how much they would take in compensation to not have access.

The National Trust, though their car park policy has excluded a lot of beaches to a lot of people.

Thanks Saveasteading for your considered reply - you're right - the questions on sustainability were tricky to put together since they can be viewed in different ways. E.g. I am really interested in using ICF - however, concrete is v much frowned upon from a sustainability/eco-friendly perspective. But what if it means your building stands for 500 years rather than say 100-200 if you use timber frame or a more eco-friendly but less enduring build technology? The survey was also put together using previous responses from an NSBRC (National Self Build and Renovation Centre) survey, so I just included all the items that had been previously highlighted as either sustainable or energy efficient. So far, from the replies I have received (but not taking into account any of today's reply from Buildhub as I have not processed them), unsurprisingly, the top three ranked construction elements are (i) insulation, (ii) MVHR and (iii) construction method. So as you say quite rightly, it's basically fabric first approach that will deliver energy efficiency and longterm performance. Thanks again for your comments... all welcome. 

• Like 1

Completed. Just to say I built in brick and clock for longevity and I like solid/heavy (some call thermal mass!!) buildings. When you think the Romans used concrete and some of it is still standing. 

• Thanks 1

Brilliant; thank you. Yes - concrete does have its benefits and there are some fascinating innovations with new concrete technologies including 'self-healing' and super-strong formulas although these are more likely for commercial applications. Thanks again for completing survey.