Hi 

We entirely renovated an old house, creating a large new extension. Prior to the work, we noticed that the previous owners had a moths infestation in some old carpet. Even though we did not move in the house, we decided to treat the house with pesticide twice prior to starting the work. The house was then literally fully torn apart, exposed to the elements, new areas being created ect…..

As we were finishing the last elements, I discovered , to my horror, that the moths have come back… unsure how and what the larvae are feeding on as we have NOTHING in the house apart from new floors etc….. no soft furnishing, nothing obvious that the larvae could feed on… yet we are seeing some life cycle with small moths and large moths around… We have a MVHR system (mechanical ventilated heating Recovery system) throughout the house, underfloor heating everywhere with screed on floor in the new part and latex on the -1st floor …mix of wooden floor and there will eventually be (manmade) carpet in some areas. I have spoken to many pest control companies, moths experts, who are all saying the same thing, there must be a food source somewhere…. But where? 
We notice about 15-20 moths in the “In house” mvhr filter everyday - all at different life stages ie small and big moths. They also seem to be more present in the rooms where air is being supplied. Can those pests live in the mvhr system? Anyone has ever had experience of this please? Can you “flush out” the system? Or can we send cameras in the pipes to investigate? 

Thank you in advance!
Chris. 

What do you mean by ‘in house’ MVHR  filter? Is that the central unit supply filter? Moths should not be getting through the filters unless they are living and breeding in the heat exchanger matrix! Should be relatively easy to fumigate the system with an insecticide smoke bomb.

Hi, I have drawned the area of the filter where I am finding live months and being told that they are probably sucked in from the extract air areas (bathrooms etc…)? How would you fumigate the system please?

IMG_9019.jpeg

11 hours ago, Chris2 said:

we have NOTHING in the house apart from new floors etc

Except, presumably, clothes? That's where I'd guess they're coming from.

4 hours ago, Chris2 said:

Hi, I have drawned the area of the filter where I am finding live months and being told that they are probably sucked in from the extract air areas (bathrooms etc…)? How would you fumigate the system please?

IMG_9019.jpeg

Note, I have used moth smoke bombs before but not with MVHR. If I had the same problem, I would try lighting one near the inlet and let it go through the system on low fan speed (following manufacturer’s instructions of course!)

On 23/05/2024 at 19:36, Mike said:

Except, presumably, clothes? That's where I'd guess they're coming from.

Hi Mike, no clothes at all as we have not moved in yet. So absolutely nothing. 

On 23/05/2024 at 14:22, Bonner said:

What do you mean by ‘in house’ MVHR  filter? Is that the central unit supply filter? Moths should not be getting through the filters unless they are living and breeding in the heat exchanger matrix! Should be relatively easy to fumigate the system with an insecticide smoke bomb.

Hi thank you for your reply. They are in the filter of the mvhr. It’s only on one side of the unit which is where the air come in and out from the main house. When you take out the filter it’s on the top side if that make sense. I think that the heat exchange matrix is on the other side? But unsure?  

11 minutes ago, Chris2 said:

Hi thank you for your reply. They are in the filter of the mvhr. It’s only on one side of the unit which is where the air come in and out from the main house. When you take out the filter it’s on the top side if that make sense. I think that the heat exchange matrix is on the other side? But unsure?  

As I understand it the filters in MVHR units stop stuff going into your fans.  One filters air taken from the house, one filters air sucked in from outside.  So if the moths are the house side that means that they are present in the house, and it sounds unlikely to me that they are living in the ducts, merely that they get sucked in as they fly past the vents.  

Years of dealing with rodents and helping others do the same has taught me that peeps often miss food sources, leading to an ‘oh that?’  moment when they realise the thing they’ve discounted or simply forgotten is the food source, because like the professionals have told you, there always is one.

Could there be something between walls or floors?  Some wacky natural insulation?  

35 minutes ago, Chris2 said:

Agree with @G and J, sounds like they are just getting drawn into the ducting, unlikely to be living inside the MVHR

32 minutes ago, G and J said:

Could there be something between walls or floors?  Some wacky natural insulation?  

A friend of mine thinks he has rodents eating his modern PIR insulation in a cottage roof that he has renovated.

8 minutes ago, Canski said:

A friend of mine thinks he has rodents eating his modern PIR insulation in a cottage roof that he has renovated.

Rodents sometimes use inedible stuff for nesting in.  I’ve found quite a few wood mice nests in glass fibre loft insulation.  

But apart from that, there is always a good source, even if it’s only the bait you are putting down to kill em. 

Not sure this is practicable, but I'd consider putting some other wee beastie in there  which predates the moth larvae. 

Once that food source disappears -maybe- beastie will pack its bags and go too? 

Naaaaaahhh, too simple.

• Like 1