Steel studwork guidance - cannot find the thread

Hi all,

A good while back I found a thread here about using Gypframe / steel studwork.

A member had written an excellent guide on what bits to use where.... and I cannot for the life of me find it out!  Searching stell+stud, gypframe, etc, don;'t show me what I know is here somewhere.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Tim

British Gypsum website will have everything you need. Plus the local rep will bend over backwards to help you if you can find out who is in your area.

6 minutes ago, phatboy said:

Hi all,

A member had written an excellent guide on what bits to use where.... and I cannot for the life of me find it out!  Searching stell+stud, gypframe, etc, don;'t show me what I know is here somewhere.

Thanks

Tim

I can remember being asked as I do MF as part of my business 

Have a look on my back post 

Or ask away

8 minutes ago, nod said:

I can remember being asked as I do MF as part of my business 

Have a look on my back post 

Or ask away

Thank you.  It's very simple, but I've never used the stuff before.

I want to build a metal stud partition against an existing block wall with a small gap,and fill it with Rockwool SoundSlab, as a noise reducing measure between living room and bedroom.  So fixings into the floor and ceiling studs only.

Is it:

GL8 for the floor track

GL1 for verticles

Seen mention of a deep track as preference for the top track, but not sure on part?

Should a different stud be used at the ends, where meeting block walls?

Do I need GL11 anchors for the floor and ends or are woodscrews with a washer and plug fine?

It needs to be a slim wall, and the Rockwool will be 50mm.

Super simple I know, but the white book is confusing Im finding.

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, ETC said:

British Gypsum website will have everything you need. Plus the local rep will bend over backwards to help you if you can find out who is in your area.

Not a chance of a rep in Jersey sadly!

1 minute ago, phatboy said:

Pity. We have a fantastic rep who bends over backwards to get us the correct information.

6 minutes ago, phatboy said:

Not a chance of a rep in Lancashire 

They used to visit us once a month 

Cutbacks 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, phatboy said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Tim

Might be these two threads you are thinking of?

Member @MortarThePoint used MF and made some good detailed threads. Member @willbish also used MF and made some good threads too. 

Edited by Nick Laslett

11 hours ago, phatboy said:

Is it:

GL8 for the floor track

GL1 for verticles

GL1 is for making Gypframe ceiling or lining a wall:

British Gypsum Gypframe GypLyner Channel GL1 2400mm x 45mm 04665/0 | CCF

For a stud wall you'll likely want their standard c-studs (link) and floor channels (e.g. 50 FEC 50). They are available in various widths from 48mm, 60mm, 70mm, 92mm, and 146mm. Depending on board thickness that is then lined with, the overall thickness ranges from about 73mm upwards. Going with board thinner than 12.5mm is probably not wise. I have stuck to 15mm plasterboard (mostly Duraline).

At abutments, I have used standard c-studs bolted to the blockwork using Pan Head Concrete Screws at 450mm centres (i.e. every other block). I think that's consistent with the BG recommendation, but do check. Screws and plugs would be good too. GL11 looks the same sort of thing but is a hammer fixing which I have typically avoided, but that's just me.

On 15/05/2024 at 08:40, MortarThePoint said:

GL1 is for making Gypframe ceiling or lining a wall:

British Gypsum Gypframe GypLyner Channel GL1 2400mm x 45mm 04665/0 | CCF

For a stud wall you'll likely want their standard c-studs (link) and floor channels (e.g. 50 FEC 50). They are available in various widths from 48mm, 60mm, 70mm, 92mm, and 146mm. Depending on board thickness that is then lined with, the overall thickness ranges from about 73mm upwards. Going with board thinner than 12.5mm is probably not wise. I have stuck to 15mm plasterboard (mostly Duraline).

At abutments, I have used standard c-studs bolted to the blockwork using Pan Head Concrete Screws at 450mm centres (i.e. every other block). I think that's consistent with the BG recommendation, but do check. Screws and plugs would be good too. GL11 looks the same sort of thing but is a hammer fixing which I have typically avoided, but that's just me.

Thank you, all ordered!  My preferred supplier has Knaufs version, but they accept BG part numbers as apparently thats what everyone goes by