Curtain Walling or Steel?

Hi all

Still at design stage and architect has designed a front glazed opening with a door and 2 storey glazing. It's 2700mm wide and 4700mm tall.  We are having an open gallery so there is no floor that would allow us to naturally separate the glazing into two units.  

Do you think curtain walling is the only approach? I wondered about whether to put a small-ish steel in at the first floor anyway and clad it on the outside and inside, allowing us to go with conventional aluminium glazing/door below and above? What are people's thoughts?

image.png.037ac5af207dd695dcaf79c5023c4bb2.pngimage.png.8abc4874ac55dd55779933b10ee17a1e.png

Think you need to careful it doesn't look like an office. Curtain walling and double glass front doors leads you that direction.

I would look to simplify.

26 minutes ago, SBMS said:

Because of...price? Structurally impossible? Look naff?

I had a similar thing, and all glazing companies I spoke to said curtain walling. I looked at doing steels but would have ruined the look

It turned out o.k on a 3 storey space.

20240226_134357_resize_14.thumb.jpg.e355430235c2ae22aeb556a755015a1c.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

I had a similar thing, and all glazing companies I spoke to said curtain walling. I looked at doing steels but would have ruined the look

It turned out o.k on a 3 storey space.

20240226_134357_resize_14.thumb.jpg.e355430235c2ae22aeb556a755015a1c.jpg

Nice! Do you mind me asking how much?

13 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Think you need to careful it doesn't look like an office. Curtain walling and double glass front doors leads you that direction.

Interesting point.. I might ask the architects to do a version with solid doors vs the glass doors, is it the glass doors you think could make it look like an office?

9 minutes ago, SBMS said:

Interesting point.. I might ask the architects to do a version with solid doors vs the glass doors, is it the glass doors you think could make it look like an office?

I think solid would look nicer 

There's too many things going for my taste.  

1. Traditional brick style main body. 

2. Very twee windows in the brick section with lots of divisions. 

3. Modern ( slightly like a commercial building) curtain wall. 

4. Timber cladding dropped in as a "oooo that'd be nice" without much other consideration. 

It points to me of someone over directing their designer. 

I would get rid of the timber cladding and the curtain wall because it doesn't match the traditional style of the rest of the house.

Otherwise maybe put some more contempary glazing in the brick section and get rid of the traditional brick details in favour of something more simple. 

In short, pick a style, and a pallet and stick to it. 

THIS

Progress with development of a bespoke single dwelling in Mildenhall -  Impact Planning

OR THIS

English Brick Cottage Stock Images - Download 1,019 Royalty Free Photos

3 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

There's too many things going for my taste.  

1. Traditional brick style main body. 

2. Very twee windows in the brick section with lots of divisions. 

3. Modern ( slightly like a commercial building) curtain wall. 

4. Timber cladding dropped in as a "oooo that'd be nice" without much other consideration. 

It points to me of someone over directing their designer. 

I would get rid of the timber cladding and the curtain wall because it doesn't match the traditional style of the rest of the house.

Otherwise maybe put some more contempary glazing in the brick section and get rid of the traditional brick details in favour of something more simple. 

In short, pick a style, and a pallet and stick to it. 

THIS

Progress with development of a bespoke single dwelling in Mildenhall -  Impact Planning

OR THIS

English Brick Cottage Stock Images - Download 1,019 Royalty Free Photos

Thanks for the feedback. The elevations drawings aren’t representative of the window style. It’ll be more like this:

image.jpeg.0eb614325298ed63b780a6d2621378d9.jpeg

Done in aluminium, not really twee or cottage like.

The black cladding is on other parts of the house as well: the architect has tied it in. 

I’ll post up the full design at some point.

The feedback on the doors though I agree with and hadn’t to be honest noticed till now, so will definitely be switching them out for solid. 

We're having exactly this debate with our double storey infill (3). We've introduced a central beam across above the door (where 3 is marked) which will give a covering over the front door and split the glazing in half top and bottom. old plan below.

The two stone gables are existing and we're retrofitting the entrance lobby and the single story extension and replacing all the glazing for simpler more modern.

image.png.c20b6fc8a65eb74ec2903f6f2db77495.png

9 hours ago, JohnMo said:

I’m going to have to stop agreeing with you John 😁

My first thought was office 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wil said:

We're having exactly this debate with our double storey infill (3). We've introduced a central beam across above the door (where 3 is marked) which will give a covering over the front door and split the glazing in half top and bottom. old plan below.

The two stone gables are existing and we're retrofitting the entrance lobby and the single story extension and replacing all the glazing for simpler more modern.

Did you do beam 3 to avoid curtain glass? Are you cladding the front of it or doing it in brick

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2024 at 23:57, Wil said:

Position 3, curtain walling every day of the week, it's too bulky just using window systems and may not even pass wind load calculations as windows (too much deflection).