Waterhammer?

There's very loud banging from the heating pipes today. I'm thinking the water is too hot causing gushes up to the header tank.

I haven't ventured up to check yet.

I recall this happening a few years ago, and there was very hot water escaping to the header tank. I can't remember though if it just stopped or a plumber did something....probably the latter.

Is it a case of reducing the temperature at the boiler?

Why it should suddenly occur is another matter.

I turned it all off and then on again about 4 hours later. It was quiet for a while then horrendous banging started again after 20 mins after it heated up.

1. Immediate actions required so we have heat.

2.does it need a plumber? Urgently or when a trusted one is available?

There is also an occasional squeal from the ch pump. I'm guessing this is also caused by the change in water pressure/ gushing.

Help please!

What boiler? assume gas or oil.  You need to measure the flow temperature coming out of the boiler, it sounds like the boiler thermostat has failed and the burner is running continuously and overheating the water.

Turn the boiler on and watch while measuring the flow temp, does the burner shut off after a while of just keep on going and going?

• Like 1

Oil.

I vaguely remember that some sensor has failed and was easily changed. 

On Saturday and Sunday, they do no work at all...

So for domestic tranquility I turn it off and on from time to time?

They Wouldn't have an easy change thermostat in wickes would they. I'm there right now?

plumber coming Monday. I will report back.

meanwhile if only we had an open fire.   Ahhh we do, but  I cleaned it out for end of season.

It is all good reclaimed stuff. Mahogany from a demo, Garden cuttings. all very well seasoned.

• Like 1

boiler stat should be a dual one, control+ safety. Unlikely both would fail but you could certainly be getting kettling even at lower temps if there's a flow issue

Youre all getting og right by the looks of it.

Plumber thinks the pump has failed.

But first he has to change 2 hoses and fit stop valves. And replace the rope seal. Outside he wants to change an emergency stop valve which is on line before the tiger loop.

Then he can service the boiler then see if the pump has to be changed.

Meanwhile he gas given me a warning notice that the oil tank has to be changed. I thought these were scratches but he says it is uv failure in the plastic.

An expensive day.

Isn't there some repair and treat system? It seems not.

20240422_175331.jpg

surely the plumber is working backwards? If boiler and burner are running for now, just throw a pump in it.  *then* look at the other stuff. Seems he's got his OFTEC profit head on...

And if no-one is likely to take a hammer to the oil tank, leave well alone. Whilst it may be a little more brittle than it used to be, that's more likely just the surface drying out, like grey car bumpers do.

• Like 1