Forum flakey today

All afternoon the forum has been flakey, pages not loading at all, timing out, or only partly loading (e.g reply functions not loading)

I have re booted my router, my computer and browser.

It has taken me over an hour to get this to post, I regard it as a temporary message to be deleted when the issue is resolved.

I will keep trying to see if others have the same issue if I can get the forum to load again.

No other problems for me, just this site.  It partially loads, e.g I can read a thread, but the "reply" box at the bottom does not populate with all the code needed to post a reply.  I think this is only the second post I have managed to make all afternoon.

As the internet is all about packets of data and IP addresses, i fail to understand how some of it works and some does not.

It is really weird.  Speedtest tells me I am connected at 75Mbps up and down, and just about everything else works, but this forum is more off than on today.  Is there some sort of DNS problem or server problem?  Edit took multiple tries to get this reply to post.

It slowed down to s stop  for me too. So did certain other sites eg a LA planning portal. Meanwhile some were OK. And the speed test was good.

The same happened last week and i rebooted the box and it was good immediately. But it's all good today.

Well without doing ANYTHING more by way of re booting stuff, this morning it is all running fine.

There must have been an issue somewhere and eventually someone realised it and re booted something and it is back to normal.

I wish I understood why you get to the situation that parts work and other parts don't like the "reply" box does not populate so you can't type anything.  I can only imagine that is calling code from a different site or at least on a different server somewhere and that is where the problem is.

But why are some other sites affected too? There must be an Internet gateway somewhere that some sites go through ( or get stopped and frisked at)  but not others, and it was being restricted yesterday.

15 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

running it though the TOR networks

Explain please?

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:
21 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

running it though the TOR networks

Explain please?

5 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Stand by!

It is a decentralised network that uses multiple layers of encryption and relays.  Anyone can set up a relay, and a few larger institutions and individuals have exit relays that connect to the World Wide Web.

https://www.torproject.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(network)

I mainly use it because I have a TOR file server that logs my outside temperatures and allows me remote access to my data, for free.  It runs on a RPi Zero W and has been incredibly reliable.  I keep intending to set up a webcam as see how it performs.

There are a number of ways to use TOR, usually though a dedicated browser like TOR Browser, but I use Brave as a TOR Browser it is built into that.

You can also set up a PC/Linux/Mac to encrypt and route all your traffic via the network with some simple software.  I use OnionFruit.

There are some odd limitations, it is sometimes detached as 'strange traffic' and you have to either switch it off or fill in a CAPTUR.