How to glue cork to masonry?

Garald

The cork I glued to the sides of the space between my windows mostly fell of while I was away. What is the best glue for attaching cork to brick and other masonry? Or is gluing the wrong approach?  

20240407_132008.jpg

20240407_131956.jpg

15 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

What is the Cork doing? 

Sound absorption. Well, the cork stuck on the sides of the external frame should also help with (sound-insulation) weak points in the frame without coupling it much (I think), but those cork strips haven't fallen out.

15 minutes ago, Andehh said:

Something like CT1 would do the trick I think! That stuff sticks everything.

How harnful is CT1? Is it enough to air it well?

Very benign, just a couple of lines down the middle of the Cork and press fit it well. Use it in an applicator gun like you would bathroom silicone.

Make sure both surfaces are clean and dry.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Andehh said:

Very benign, just a couple of lines down the middle of the Cork and press fit it well. Use it in an applicator gun like you would bathroom silicone.

Make sure both surfaces are clean and dry.

All right. What about gluing cork to the top part? Will I need to hold it for long before the glue acts? I haven't mastered antigravity.

Edited by Garald

Not really, it's pretty sticky stuff. Glue top bit on first, then glue side bits so they help hold top bit up, and maybe stick a Broom/brush/curtain pole wedging the middle bit up.

• Like 1

Isovit e-cork is used as a mortar/adhesive for fixing cork insulation board to masonry.

We've used it for sticking wood fibre boards (internally) and it worked very well

• Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 23:52, torre said:

Isovit e-cork is used as a mortar/adhesive for fixing cork insulation board to masonry.

We've used it for sticking wood fibre boards (internally) and it worked very well

That was my doubt - I saw it described as being used for outside insulation. Are there no problems with fumes and the like?

I can't answer your question directly, but I can point you to a post that @SteamyTea made yesterday .

Here

Summarising part of the programme above, what matters most is the quality of the surface onto which the sticky stuff is applied.

'... brick and other masonry...' to me means rough and possibly crumbly(ing). Solve that issue - make the brick and masonry smoother - and primed to accept glue, and I think you have the answer.

@SteamyTea ? You probably listened more carefully than I did.....

16 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

You probably listened more carefully than I did

Well I did when first broadcast back in '07.

Hearing the word silane brought back happy memories of when we cast 10,000 bottles of beer into acrylic.

Manu years ago, @Construction Channel did so tests with different tapes onto timber. I suggest at the time that he found the one that stuck to the timber best  and then the one that stuck to the material he wanted to attack  the see how well he could stick them together with double sided tape.

He didn't try it. Bit like no one wants to use the proper solvent to clean thier PU foam nozzles.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.