Which render?

Hi 

Likely to build a small two bed in Exmouth Devon later this year . We are only 10 minutes walk to the beach ( yes I know lucky us) 

my question is which Render to use . The front of the house is north facing and we will be constructing a MBC timber frame . 
is K- render the way to go? What about the cork render ? Which is less maintenance and less likely to crack etc … or is there something else? 

thanks 

25 minutes ago, Nic said:

Hi 

Likely to build a small two bed in Exmouth Devon later this year . We are only 10 minutes walk to the beach ( yes I know lucky us) 

my question is which Render to use . The front of the house is north facing and we will be constructing a MBC timber frame . 
is K- render the way to go? What about the cork render ? Which is less maintenance and less likely to crack etc … or is there something else? 

thanks 

I believe the most important aspect is who's applying it, the best render in the world aint worth s**t if it's applied incorrectly. Find a local firm and see what they recommend, they should get a specific spec from suppliers for your particular job.

and by the way its K-Rend,  who make different types of render eg Silicone, acrylic, monocouche etc 

Edited by Chanmenie
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nic said:

In which anybody know a reputable render company in the Exeter area 

Also remember you'll need a good substrate to adhere the render to. Can't just go straight on the timber frame board.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Conor said:

We have Sto and we're very happy, 2.5 years later still looks like new.

There seems to be loads of different types of Sto … which one did you go for ? 

26 minutes ago, Nic said:

There seems to be loads of different types of Sto … which one did you go for ? 

Can't remember. Renderer supplied everything. The part acrylic part silicone one. Bright white, thin coat, smooth finish.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MPH243 said:

I used DJP Finishes based in Tiverton/Exeter area.  They made a very good job of our house. 

IMG_20230903_113713.jpg

That looks great what render was it  please? 

I’ve used through coloured renders for forty years I have little or no say in the brand of render that we use on a daily basis But I used K scraped on our previous build and K roughcast on our current Most are ok to use Similar priced and pretty durable The only thing that sets them apart is K rends after sales service is excellent 

Problems arnt that common But when there are issues K will either replace the materials or stand the whole job re doing 

No excuses The rep just wants to sort the issue out 

Other companies blame us 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nod said:

Problems arnt that common But when there are issues K will either replace the materials or stand the whole job re doing 

No excuses The rep just wants to sort the issue out 

Other companies blame us 

Thank you for that, I might have a word and see if they can offer something for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some companies insist on Webber Rend Whilst the product is ok the reps just want to shift any blame from themselves 

K reps come out and immediately reassure the clients Perhaps it’s an Irish thing Or they are just better trained than others 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, nod said:

Some companies insist on Webber Rend Whilst the product is ok the reps just want to shift any blame from themselves 

K reps come out and immediately reassure the clients Perhaps it’s an Irish thing Or they are just better trained than others 

A colleague used it on a high end extension recently after the renderer said they'd rather use it and there'd be no cost difference from the specified sand and cement render. The finish achieved wasn't great but it wasn't that bad that he could confidently say it needed redoing. The K Rend rep came out and said go over with another coat which the renderer did with no additional cost for the client.

• Thanks 1