Wireless Burglar Alarm

Hi All

We are only a few weeks away from moving into our home and the mrs has decided she might want a burglar alarm now - even though we have a full CCTV system

The internals of the house is 95% complete so would have to be a wireless system

Could anyone recommend a good wireless burglar system at all?

Many Thanks

9 hours ago, richo106 said:

Could anyone recommend a good wireless burglar system at all?

Do you want it to be insurance approved - as most will not be.

We've had a Visonic for 15+years. The indoor wireless "Quad" PIR sensors have very good battery life if you turn off the optional red flashing LED in them.

The control panel on ours has way too many modes and options for most people.

They have key fobs for arming/disarming like a car so you don't really need a key pad. 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

I was put off installing an alarm since if you tell your insurance company you have one and it wasn't set when you were burgled they can decline to pay out.

Insurance companies rarely give you a discount for fitting burglar alarms. If they do it will generally only be where the alarm is professionally fitted, is hard wired, and is monitored. In that case it’s likely they’ll have a clause specifically stating the alarm must be active etc. Not many home owners fit these kinds of alarms anymore. 

For any other installation how would the insurance company know if it wasn’t set? Unless your alarm records activity and the insurance company asked for it. 

2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Insurance companies rarely give you a discount for fitting burglar alarms.

If they don't give me a discount I say an alarm isn't there. I had one case many years ago where we bought a house with a monitored alarm system already installed. The stipulation from the insurance company was to be maintained annually from an approved list of contractors, had to be set everytime we left the house and at night. My insurance came down when I said it was no longer installed. Go figure.

9 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

I was put off installing an alarm since if you tell your insurance company you have one and it wasn't set when you were burgled they can decline to pay out.

Insurance companies can do strange things.  when I built a garage I told my car insurance company it was now kept in a garage.  How much did it reduce my premium?  £NIL.  Then I asked what would happen if I left it outside one night and it got stolen.  NOT COVERED.  I now declare the car is parked on the driveway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Insurance companies can do strange things.  when I built a garage I told my car insurance company it was now kept in a garage.  How much did it reduce my premium?  £NIL.  Then I asked what would happen if I left it outside one night and it got stolen.  NOT COVERED.  I now declare the car is parked on the driveway.

My step sister works in insurance. The reason there’s no discount is because loads of cars are damaged in garages from stuff falling on them to folk crashing them into the back wall apparently. 

6 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

My step sister works in insurance. The reason there’s no discount is because loads of cars are damaged in garages from stuff falling on them to folk crashing them into the back wall apparently. 

Fair enough.

But having done the right thing and told them you are parking it in a garage, for them to say if it gets stolen from your drive it is not covered  is bang out of order.

• Like 1

Insurance companies. They’ll do anything to wriggle out of paying. We don’t trust them and they don’t trust us. My step-sister works in the fraud side. 

• Like 1