This is why "AIM" is a fantastic design principle.

All the reading of posts on here at the design stage  and the hard work implementing the experience of others on your own self build can be summed  up / justified with just 1 image. Even when building on a very tight budget.

IMG_20240321_222240.thumb.jpg.4c9c3b685b32282882301bf0b38caffe.jpg

This is my energy usage @ The Windy Roost since we got here.  Upto January 24 we were in the static, we were never really warm used Air to Air heatpump for heating, hot water and cooking was LPG. We also had around 4 summer months of our cabins being used, again electricity for heating and cooking, DHW is LPG.

The blue line makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. That's our electricity for the self build, a whole house fully electric and blissfully warm with ample DHW. (With some limited cabin usage).

To all self builders going through this, it's worth the effort👍

• Like 6

I remember the 18 months we spent in the static, which happened to include the winter with the "beast from the east".  It proved it was possible, just, to survive in that in a winter storm but boy it needed a lot of heat.  We lit the stove in November and it hardly went out until March and it was a challenge keeping up with firewood to feed it.

Now I read of people in "ordinary" houses with high heating bills and sit smug in our comfortable house with low bills.  It is definitely worth it.

It is widely assumed by most that your largest household bill is energy.  It is most certainly NOT in our case, it is council tax, and sadly that is one I cannot reduce by making any changes.  I have said before, if you applied the same criteria to council tax as you do heating bills, then we are in "council tax poverty" 

• Like 1

Good good. 

Maybe you could update your blog. If you get a spare moment. I've been following with much interest. 

I love the nerdy details like floor/wall/roof insulation buildup and window specs etc....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jenki said:

All the reading of posts on here at the design stage  and the hard work implementing the experience of others on your own self build can be summed  up / justified with just 1 image. Even when building on a very tight budget

I agree. Many things can also be done to an existing house. My annual usage is a gnats over a quarter what they were when I moved in.

What does upset me is the number of post asking for advice or help, after they have built.

It really is not hard to design in a decently insulated floor and make the walls a bit thicker.

• Like 1