Strange way of quoting?

I have a bricklayer I was hoping to line up but he will only quote a rate per m2. There are different rates for brick and block. My house has a mix. He prefers to walk through the job when it is finished and finalize the cost then.

This exposes me to whatever figure he comes up with though.

I very much doubt I can use him, too much risk but is this normal? If I used him for years I might be OK with this but first time, I can't make that leap of faith with 10k on the line....thoughts?

39 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

but is this normal?

Yes, rates per 1,000 bricks or m² are normal.

40 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

This exposes me to whatever figure he comes up with though.

Why? You can just measure how many m² of each there is.

Odd he would only measure upright at the end as he would only get paid once.

I would do measure up at the end of each week and record it to him, also take your own pictures. Surely he will be waiting paying weekly.

44 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Odd he would only measure upright at the end as he would only get paid once.

I would do measure up at the end of each week and record it to him, also take your own pictures. Surely he will be waiting paying weekly.

Plus 1

An easy way to keep track is You know what materials have been delivered to to site Count what is left each Just down to the nearest pack of block or brick 

What he’s suggesting is how many Brickies work on large sites 

I wouldn’t rule him out I’m guessing if you asked him why he does this 

He would probably say he’s always done it this way 

Direct Labour, no QS. I'll supply bricks/blocks based on my own estimates, he's just supplying trades. I have another I can go to but he's not gotten back with any quote as yet....

M2 rate is fine. You can pay interims as others have mentioned above but be careful he doesn't 'cream' the job. i.e. build all the long straight walls first leaving the fiddly bits behind and then leaves  the less profitable items and does a runner. This could force you into paying day rate for the rest of the work. 

I am quite happy to take an interim and have a remeasure at say joist and wall plate then hold some back at wall plate to cover the extra work in gables and chimneys if you have them.

• Like 1

Sounds like a cost plus basis except you are also supplying the materials! If his rate per M2 is good, he comes recommended and you can see examples of his work I would definitely consider him.

If you are paying a very clear rate for the work that he is doing and you can measure the amount of work he is doing IE rate per M2 of brick or block laid, it takes the 'finger in the air' and 'extras/not included' type issues one seems to get when accepting a lot of 'all-in' quotes. 

On 14/03/2024 at 22:13, mike2016 said:

I have a bricklayer I was hoping to line up but he will only quote a rate per m2.

I think you need to have a more in depth conversation.

What about cavity trays, maybe cranked solum vents, weep vents, return corner details, some lead flashings, maybe working around some steel beams etc.. all the tricky bits that take up time. Going on a sq m rate for something like this is maybe not quite enough.

Also sound out.. I'm a self builder. what happens if someone else lets me down.. will you cut me some slack? how do you see that working if there is delay etc?

Your starting point is to say.. hey I don't mind paying a fair rate.. it's just I need to know how we deal with reality on a self build.

On 15/03/2024 at 08:45, mike2016 said:

Direct Labour, no QS. I'll supply bricks/blocks based on my own estimates, he's just supplying trades. I have another I can go to but he's not gotten back with any quote as yet....

dont think you understand. Getting the job QS'd gives you the detail of how much you should be paying for every element, give the brickie a copy of it and work to a price.

QS says 10k of mats 15k of labour for example.