Had anybody had a steel building in my case 47 ft x 30 ft x 14 ft built and have the erection costs to hand? 

It will be 4 portal frames, timber perlins and metal clad.

I've got package costs and kit costs and it seems like most things the sum of the parts have a big profit margin attached. So I'm looking to guage just erection costs if anyone has some?

27 minutes ago, Jenki said:

erection costs to hand? 

Erection only?

I'd say that will take 4 skilled men :

day 1. Offload and prep.

2 erect primary steel and a few rails

3 to 5 remaining rails.

6 sundries and clear up.

7 contingency

so 7 x 4 x £250 average?

crane or FL 2 days

mewp 7 days

10% sundries

30% markup if a working owner. Otherwise 50%

£13k. To £15k

assumes ready availability of the skills,  if not, add accordingly.

and a hard running surface. Inside and perimeter. If not, forget the above.

assumes all parts correct, foundation bolts correct,  and no drillling.

would i do it for that? No. Too many things go wrong with other peoples frames on other peoples sites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

+1 on the above.

done far too many small portals as fill in jobs and lost money on every one …. And that was during 90’s when steel erectors walked over portals, climbed columns and monkeyed across purlins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, markc said:

when steel erectors walked over portals

Me. Please don't do that.

Erector. If I was going to fall off, I would have died years ago.

Me to HSE: I want to use fall nets.

HSE:  They are a continental idea and we don't allow them. The erectors must shuffle along and hook themselves* to the structure.

Now? At least the rules are clear, albeit costly.

* that's a slow (15 mins?) way to die of blood blockage, hanging in a harness, unless there is a mewp to get you down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

unless there is a mewp

May I digress or will I be in trouble with the digression police?

Has anybody bought an old mewp for their project, or looked into it?

They must be disposed of at some age and condition but probably when they are becoming unreliable or caked in paint.

The convenience could be very valuable. But the risk of hydraulics problems?

49 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

May I digress or will I be in trouble with the digression police?

Has anybody bought an old mewp for their project, or looked into it?

They must be disposed of at some age and condition but probably when they are becoming unreliable or caked in paint.

The convenience could be very valuable. But the risk of hydraulics problems?

I had a scissor lift for a year when I was putting up the shell, whizzing about indoors with it was excellent. 
I only got rid of it when the ufh went in. 
sold it for what I paid for it £2500. 

• Like 1

I’m also interested in one as I’ll have vaulted ceilings. Is there a floor loading problem with these though? I’m sure they work on a concrete floor slab, but would they be too heavy for some floor types?

32 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

I’m also interested in one as I’ll have vaulted ceilings. Is there a floor loading problem with these though? I’m sure they work on a concrete floor slab, but would they be too heavy for some floor types?

I drove mine around on the block n beam for a year, I think it weighed about 1200kg. 

1 hour ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Is there a floor loading problem with these though? 

It needs serious checking. I used a pair of boom ones on a big sports hall floor of planks, before the structural screed. They  calculated as comfortably  OK when standing symmetrically but not with the boom out to one corner and fully extended. The steel erectors understood and used them appropriately.

On beam and block similarly but there's a risk of blocks cracking.

• Like 1

I’m seeing typical beam & block as, say, 300kg/m^2 allowed loading and scissor lifts at say 1,000.

e.g. https://www.hybridlifts.com/ansi/GoHyer/2021/What-is-Floor-Load-and-how-do-Scissor-Lifts-Stack-Up.htm

An example spider is 1,500kg over say 6m^2 i.e. 250 kg/m^2

e.g. https://www.siteheight.com/spider-lift-hire-13-80

So, not that far off the designed floor loading?

@markc any thoughts?

Edited by Alan Ambrose

Yes it is a serious matter. The floor is expected to take domestic loading, spread out. A wheel can be a very direct point load, on a block or 2, or directly on a beam. Thus not to be dabbled with.

Wheel size, or jacks, will matter too. I would want jacks to be onto a timber bearer across the beams. 

I only considered rough terrain mewps becsuse of the big wheels and to cross over bumps gently.

Scissor lifts will spread load onto 4 wheels. Booms can have 3/4 of the load on one wheel, or jack.

Also. The design load for a precast floor normally assumes the screed is laid. The screed adds considerably to the strength.

Precast planks 150 thick will bounce simply with jumping up and down on them. With 70mm on top, they don't. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Very small wheels for on a hard slab only. Was that ever frustrating?

The sliding platform handy though.

Couple of sheets of plywood and I could drive it around the outside of the house. 
inside it rumbled around nicely on the block n beam. 
I even lifted a couple of 80kg windows up into place 4m up in the air with it. The windows in this pic  IMG_3372.thumb.jpeg.602ca3e06e2bd8199100be5d62ebc5a4.jpeg

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 2