Lead water pipe dispute with Scottish Water

Hi All,

I am not sure I am correct to post this under the General Plumbing Forum but nothing else fits better. I'm reaching out regarding a persistent issue we've been facing with the replacement of the lead water pipe in our old property, particularly given that we have a baby in the house. Here's a summary of our situation:

1. Initial Steps: We undertook the task of replacing our old lead water pipe with a plastic one to ensure the safety of our water supply.
  2. Approval and Expectations: Scottish Water conducted an inspection on 26/09/2023 and approved the work we had done. They mentioned that the external connection work would take 2-3 weeks.
  3. Unexpected Delays: However, we didn't receive any updates within the specified time frame. Upon inquiry, we were informed that the work was outsourced to a third-party company. This company mentioned the need for council approval, indicating that it would likely be delayed until January due to the holiday season.
  4. Continued Delays: Despite assurances, the work did not proceed as scheduled in January. They assured that work is now scheduled to the 26th of February. They did not show up. Subsequent follow-ups with Scottish Water yielded no clear explanation or resolution.
  5. Complaints and Dead Ends: We lodged a formal complaint via email on 8th January 2024 but have yet to receive a response. Furthermore, the Scottish Water website directs us to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO), but the SPSO requires a clear referral from the organization, which we have not received.
  6. Ongoing Hardship: Meanwhile, we've been relying on alternate arrangements, such as collecting water from family members, which has been inconvenient and unsustainable for nearly half a year.

Scottish Water website directs to Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) for further escalation. However the SPSO clearly states that they only consider cases if we were referred to them:
From SPSO's website:
"We need to see that the organisation have confirmed that you have completed their complaints procedure and clearly referred you to our office as the next stage by letter or email. If there is no clear referral to the SPSO in the organisation's final response, please go back to them and ask whether or not you have completed their complaints procedure."

We cant get an answer from Scottish Water to our initial complaint let alone a final response that refers us to SPSO. Is there any suggestion what we can do in this situation?

Thanks, Tamas

I dont have any answers, but i had the same issue with DVLA and their ombudsmen.

They point blank refused to refer me, despite having reached that point in the process, whilst at the same time, point blank refused to deal with the issue.

Not sure what the point of an Ombudsmen is if you are reliant on the fcompany that has failed to refer you.

• Like 1

Go public.  6 months is intolerable. Just intolerable. 

• Find out which Social media they (SW) use and state your case simply and succinctly.
  • Stress the hardship - "If this had happened to the CEO of Scottish Water this would have been fixed by now "
  • "Would he (she) allow her baby to suffer in the way ours is" ?
  • Email the CEO.
  • Find out where he / she works : block his / her car parking space
  • Local paper - you get the picture ....
  • Arrange a streak in the SW  HQ office foyer : have the press ready (but be modest)
  • Trustpilot
  • Facebook
  • Instagram etc.

MP= waste of time, Local Councillors - maybe

Thank you for the clearly written post. It helps a great deal. 

Off to the barricades now then?

Freedom For Citizens = Dundonians and all ! A water supply would be good if you can, please?

• Like 1

• jack changed the title to Lead water pipe dispute with Scottish Water
1 hour ago, stamas01 said:

1. Ongoing Hardship: Meanwhile, we've been relying on alternate arrangements, such as collecting water from family members, which has been inconvenient and unsustainable for nearly half a year.

Millions of people drink water through lead pipes. It's chemically managed in the system and the risks are very low. Especially as you'll only have a short length of pipe. A 3-6month wait for a utility to do something is, unfortunately, fairly typical. Keep hounding them, and drink the water in the mean time.

• Like 1

Write to your MP by snail mail. In the first sentence of you letter say something like...

"Please could you write to Scottish Water  asking why it's taking so long to make a simple connection to solve the problem we have with lead in our water pipe"

Then you can explain the problem as per your OP above. 

Provide the address for SW.

Then all your MP has to do is read the first line and get his secretary to dash off a letter. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Conor said:

Millions of people drink water through lead pipes.

I agree with this, though how 'lead-free' the water is depends to some extent on mineral deposition within the pipe and how much disturbance there has been. If, for example, a lead pipe with limestone deposits in springs a leak it may well be scraped out to form a 'bell' for a sweated joint, leaving the water in contact with lead as it has not been (given the 'stone lining') for years up to then. It should not be your problem but I am sure you could get one of the companies which tests bore-hole water quality to test a sample from your taps. It won't be free but in the absence of action from SW it may be pragmatic.

• Like 1

While it’s true that that the pipes are likely safe it’s irrelevant as far as the op is concerned. Scottish Water have agreed to replace it and have delivered a terrible service is doing it. 

Write to their CEO, Alex Plant. 

https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/about-us/who-we-are/executive-leadership-team#

Use their own words in your correspondence 

https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/About-Us/What-We-Do/Water-Sector-Vision

• Like 1

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment! I am aware that some might consider it safe and it might be. It is that we really did not want to risk it with an infant (lead is particularly dangerous for them) and subsequently we also decided not to drink it just for the sake of it.

I got some good idea how to proceed for which I am tankful!

I will try to keep you updated as I believe some if not all of you are interested how this goes.

Google says you can get a test for lead in water. I would get one of those then at least you can decide if safe for you, even if you don't want to risk baby.

Don't tell the water co the result.

I have used DIY tests from Simplex Health, they despatch promptly and there is a wide range available which are relatively easy to use (helps if you have done some wet chemistry). The lead test is very sensitive.

Have also used an independent consultant but he sent the tests off to somewhere else and didn't really give me the advice I was looking for (low pH in my rainwater system).

If you have hard water I would not worry but as you are in Scotland you might have a problem, OTOH if so they probably treat it with polyphosphate - which is what causes the scum on your tea if you suffer from that(!).