Do we need building regulations and building control

oingles

Hi, this is my first post, go easy on me!

My daughter and son-in-law are contemplating building a triple oak-framed garage with a room over, which is to be an 'office'.  They have planning permission, but seem to be under the impression that they can go ahead without BR / BC, which makes me very uneasy.

As far as I can make out, the proposed build would not be exempt, however I would appreciate your perspective.  The basic details are:

Footprint 9.7m x 6.3m (61m2)

Ridge height 5.8m

2 dormers, 1 Velux + windows in each gable

Costruction; oak frame and softwood, slate roof

Location more that 1m from the boundary

Thanks in anticipation

51 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

They will absolutely require Building Regulations. The oak frame garage alone would trigger BR’s. 

Why?

If its under 30sqm its exempt. Cant see why it being Oak would change that?

7 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

But it's twice that.

I know, but devildamo said it would need BR because its oak frame. That makes no sense as a criteria. At least not that im aware of.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

I took him to mean that the garage alone (without the rooms on top) which is 61m2 (and BTW is oak-framed) would require B.Regs anyway. 

You maybe right. Thats not how i read it though.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Why?

If its under 30sqm its exempt. Cant see why it being Oak would change that?

Which part of the OP’s post does it mention it’ll be under 30sq.m? It’s massively over that. It requires BR’s. Couldn’t be even more straight forward.

38 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

I know, but devildamo said it would need BR because its oak frame. That makes no sense as a criteria. At least not that im aware of.

No I did not say that. I said the “oak frame garage”. I could have removed the oak frame part. The answer is still the same. 

Thanks all, amazingly fast response. The only reason I mentioned the oak frame and softwood construction was because of the potential for its contribution to the spread of fire.  However, that may be a red herring at this point because the footprint being over 30 m2 mandates the requirement for BR.  

So, my plan is to discuss with my family how they plan to achieve compliance with BR's.  Watch this space; I may well need to come back to you for further addvice.

Once again, thanks a million!

3 hours ago, oingles said:

The only reason I mentioned the oak frame and softwood construction was because of the potential for its contribution to the spread of fire.

Yes there is a condition on flammable surfaces next to a boundary, know this because of my “log cabin” type garage.

11 hours ago, joe90 said:

Yes there is a condition on flammable surfaces next to a boundary, know this because of my “log cabin” type garage.

But not in the OP’s case as it’s over 1m.

On 29/02/2024 at 20:58, oingles said:

They have planning permission, but seem to be under the impression that they can go ahead without BR / BC, which makes me very uneasy.

Sometimes when people say they "don't need building control" what they actually mean is they don't need a Full Plans application, and can do it via a building notice. So maybe clarify if this is what they're thinking of?

https://www.hertfordshirebc.co.uk/guidance-note/full-plans-and-building-notices/

Personally I'd do the full plans application anyway, else you risk failing BC after the work is already done. For a garage alone less tricky but with living accommodation included there's a lot more boxes to tick. Thermal performance, fire doors, escape routes, sound proofing ...

Other times people mean they heard someone else got away without doing BC at all. It's true, it's a self notifying process so odds are reasonable you won't get caught if you fail to send the notice. It's a false saving, and will absolutely catch up with them as an additional headache when the property is sold if not before

Edited by joth

19 minutes ago, joth said:

Personally I'd do the full plans application anyway

+1, I always got full BC approval whenever BC were involved simply because they can be inconsistent , I even had an occasion with full plans where the inspector wanted a change, I refused (as the work had already been done) and escalated it with success to leave as I had built.