Building plot conveyancing fees?

Can anyone shed any light as to what legal fees you can expect to pay for purchasing a building plot.  We have been quoted 2k +vat, and am struggling to understand how they can justify that amount.   A lot of the due diligence is outside of the legalities of a title transfer and associated Land Registry registration.

Actually I think there is more work required for a plot. The lawyer doesn’t really need to worry about services, drainage, sewage etc with an established dwelling and not worry so much re covenants. That’s because it’s just possible there might be a gotcha there for a plot which might stop you building. No such problem with an established dwelling. We had ours done by the commercial part of a local solicitors and although more expensive, I think they were much more thorough. You could check exactly what they’re offering for the money. Plot has planning permission already? You’ll come out ahead on stamp duty on a plot vs an established dwelling, so the net cost might be similar.

Edited by Alan Ambrose
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Actually I think there is more work required for a plot. The lawyer doesn’t really need to worry about services, drainage, sewage etc with an established dwelling and not worry so much re covenants. That’s because it’s just possible there might be a gotcha there for a plot which might stop you building. No such problem with an established dwelling. We had ours done by the commercial part of a local solicitors and although more expensive, I think they were much more thorough. You could check exactly what they’re offering for the money. Plot has planning permission already? You’ll come out ahead on stamp duty on a plot vs an established dwelling, so the net cost might be similar.

I agree that buying a plot is more work but good luck finding a conveyancer that will do that extra work. I wasn't able to find one familiar with conveyancing a plot and had to do all the due diligence stuff myself.  

• Like 1

On 25/02/2024 at 20:40, flanagaj said:

Can anyone shed any light as to what legal fees you can expect to pay for purchasing a building plot.  We have been quoted 2k +vat, and am struggling to understand how they can justify that amount.   A lot of the due diligence is outside of the legalities of a title transfer and associated Land Registry registration.

I sold one to my friend for £1000 plus VAT and my friend paid £1200 plus VAT for the purchase. I was quoted by one firm between £4 and £6 k. It’s a minefield out there. 

• Like 1