Proposed design - suggestions gratefully received.

Hi everyone. We’re going through planning to build this barn. It’s a demolition and self-build so won’t be using the existing open metal structure if approved. I’m after your insights.

It’s up a farm track, a rural plot with lovely views to the south west. The original planning approval was for a 6-bed but we’ve made it smaller (4-bed) than the footprint of the existing allows. Mainly for cost and sustainability reasons but also because we want a good sized garage. There’s just two of us but we both work from home and need separate work spaces. We’ve tried to future proof with the sitting room downstairs which could be a bedroom if needed. We’re happy with compact rooms - although the main bedroom is generous it’s so we can put loads of storage in.

The original plan had a balcony which we’ve kept as it gives a covered area downstairs and there should be nice views out to the south west.

The main concern for us is the windows/light coming in. We want it to feel light but not overheat. Any advice?

Also the main bedroom with the wardrobes area between bed and bathroom I think could be better planned. Any thoughts?

The two bedrooms with the views will be the offices and have sofa beds if we have people to stay.

We like the open landing area at the top of the stairs. I like houses that have little nooks in them. 

The house will be built where the red line is, moving away from the boundary because of mature trees and root protection areas. It should create a shady garden behind. The other red box is planned as a garden room. 

We’re working with a timber frame company to erect it and then we’ll take over. Previous experience is stripping back a double garage to its timber frame and converting it into a one bed annexe. 

We’re now trying to find companies for services, ground works and foundations - I assume we need a SE to do the foundation design but ground works and foundations are all new so I’ll be heading to that forum topic next!  Any recommendations for foundation teams near Ashford Kent would also be great.

IMG_8987.jpeg

IMG_8985.png

IMG_8983.jpeg

Edited by ChrisInKent

In many ways your downstairs layout is similar to ours.  I suggest you make the living room just a little bigger (shrink the plant room which rarely needs to be large) and then have double doors into the living room directly opposite the double doors into the kitchen / diner.  Ours are double glass doors and we like being able to have all the doors open making the whole downstairs feel like one big open space, or closing them when we want it to be snug.

Edited to add a picture looking from the kitchen / diner, across the hall and through into the living room

double_doors.thumb.jpg.509cac80e7b39b02d3316a48b296a4e4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like the design.  Nice and simple.  Higher ceilings could be good.  The living room windows look quite big.  If you are overlooked from anywhere you could feel a bit exposed in some parts of the house.  Regarding overheating, if you mark up the floor plans with a North point it will be easier to assess, but yes, it looks like it could be an issue.

• Like 1

Nice an spacious feeling. 

My one concern would be noise from the plant and utility in the living room. 

Plus I prefer my utility to be 'off' the kitchen as it tends to end up being overflow of storage. 

Which orientation is the build to north? 

• Thanks 1

Added a N and arrow on the plot plan. The ‘front’ of the house faces South West, the balcony is N/NW. 

The thinking with the living room was if it ever did need to be a bedroom it could have a small patio outside it with access or a vies out. It looks into the garden and the neighbours front garden in the distance.

7 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I really like the design.  Nice and simple.  Higher ceilings could be good.  The living room windows look quite big.  If you are overlooked from anywhere you could feel a bit exposed in some parts of the house.  Regarding overheating, if you mark up the floor plans with a North point it will be easier to assess, but yes, it looks like it could be an issue.

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

In many ways your downstairs layout is similar to ours.  I suggest you make the living room just a little bigger (shrink the plant room which rarely needs to be large) and then have double doors into the living room directly opposite the double doors into the kitchen / diner.  Ours are double glass doors and we like being able to have all the doors open making the whole downstairs feel like one big open space, or closing them when we want it to be snug.

Edited to add a picture looking from the kitchen / diner, across the hall and through into the living room

double_doors.thumb.jpg.509cac80e7b39b02d3316a48b296a4e4.jpg

That looks great, thanks for adding the pic.

For the plant room we’re having MHVC, ASHP outside it, UFH and actually made it bigger than we had it because a builder told us it was too small. I’ll check out the forums to see if there’s one on it- but if you have an idea on ideal size then please share it.

1 minute ago, ChrisInKent said:

Added a N and arrow on the plot plan. The ‘front’ of the house faces South West, the balcony is N/NW. 

So pretty much never seeing sunrise or sunset.. And likely shady (slippery mould after a couple of years?) 

Looking at the staircase and landing there's a lot of lost space there considering. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a reason the stairs start at the back? Turn them around and you can use the space behind them on the ground floor. You can still get light from a window upstairs and the double height area.

As @ProDave says move the lounge door round to face the kitchen door. Don’t put it in a little alcove. Shower room behind the stairs with a window and then more room for utility and plant room and larger lounge.

Upstairs move en-suite onto landing then move dressing room back allowing larger master bedroom with direct access.