A lot of man hours?

Hello there, 

Been talking to a guy about laying some patio.  We have 130m2 in an L shaped patio.  No steps nothing to cut around just the edges. 

He reckons it will take 2 people 3 weeks to lay it, so 240 man hours. 

Ground will be prepped by tarmac company levels and drainage done.  

Patio layer will mix a screed of patio sand and cement and lay 600x400 slabs on top.  There will be 1 row of silver 1 row of charcol as a boarder and the rest in silver, no circles etc. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks

Damian

That's about £5k labour only, so £35-£40/m².

Our 43m² patio, same flags, laid in a staggered bond, dust screed, loads of cuts, took 4 man days, with another 2 days of prep and drainage works before. They did have a digger to help drop the quarry dust in place.

All in all, it's at least double you'd expect. 

Edited by Conor

10 hours ago, LA3222 said:

So he plans on laying circa two slabs an hour.......🤣

Bit harsh, 2.21 flags per hour 😂. I think the hardest part of this would be trying to look busy for 3 weeks.

@DeeJunFan as @nod says get another quote.

Most of the bricklayers that I know haven’t had a proper wage since before Christmas If it’s for doing the work at the moment They might be lucky to get a full days work in per week Everyone has to eat 

13 hours ago, DeeJunFan said:

We have 130m2 in an L shaped patio.  No steps nothing to cut around just the edges.

Almost identical size and shape to what we had done with 600 x 300 slabs a few years back.

I'm sure it took two of them well under two weeks, including digging out and laying a sub-base.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2024 at 11:15, jack said:

Almost identical size and shape to what we had done with 600 x 300 slabs a few years back.

I'm sure it took two of them well under two weeks, including digging out and laying a sub-base.

For me there will be no digging out and sub-base will be done. 

Guy will be mixing screed and laying slabs only 

• Like 1

Got another quote today, he reckons 3 men 4/5 days.  That sounds a lot more like it. 

Also he is pushing us towards Sienna from Tobermore,  its a more traditional size paving stone at 27 per m2 compared to 6.5 of the Mayfair flag per m2. 

Question now would be what would people suggest, larger format for the larger area?  Or does anyone have any issues with smaller paving stones with weeds/algea given we have a lot of trees close by. 

Cheers

Damian