Help removing old aluminium window

DBreak

Hi guys.  I'd like some advice for removing this old aluminium window.  I've done a lot of building and diy but never removed a window of this type before.  It seems like I'll have more success removing it from the outside but it would be great to have some experienced eyes look at this just in case!  I'd also like to know what kind of tools I need.

The goal would be to be able to re-fit the window if needs be as I'm not certain the triple glazed replacement is going to go in smoothly, and I might need to rethink the installation (I'll save that for another thread perhaps!!).

Many thanks for any help!

Dan

image.jpeg.79a4f424968037f1ad270fb58cbe693c.jpegimage.jpeg.be468deed95e4f7d1ea2e1b75c97a625.jpegimage.jpeg.b88e806cc7fd68c86ffb3ceeb7733775.jpeg

image.jpeg

If it is like the double glazed 'Monaframe' Aluminium Windows I had with external beading, the internal rubber seals (ie. inside room) can be eased out from the between the glass and frame (The rubber seal strips are usually just pushed in as a tight interference fit between glass & frame) This should make the glass unit a loose fit in the frame. The Aluminium beading strips/seals (4-off) on the outside can then be carefully prised out /unclipped from the Aluminium frame extrusions with a thin screwdriver/lever. The glass can then be lifted out the frame from the outside assuming adhesive security tape has not been used to increase security. This then gives access to the hidden screws holding the Aluminium frame into the (usually) hardwood frame. Finally the wood frame can be unscrewed from the brickwork and any sealant or expanding foam holding it in, to remove from the outside hopefully without damaging the internal wall plaster.

Of course a window fitter who is not refitting the old frame would usually be a lot more brutal in the removal process to save time, probably involving the use of hammers, chisels and saws....

Note: Most modern uPVC or Aluminium windows have the removable beading on the inside to further improve security...

Monarch/Monaframe Aluminium (discontinued 2010) windows:-

https://www.aluminiumtradesupply.co.uk/10450/looking-monarch-aluminium-windows/

Edited by MAB

Thanks Mab, I'm not sure these windows are the same.  The rubber sits outside the frame, and there seems to be a frame within a frame.  The inner frame is the one which holds the glass.  I'm hoping I can remove the outer frame as it looks like that's the one which allows access to the pane.

Edited by DBreak
  • Like 1

looks like an opening window that is unable to open 😆

get an old gasket/ wallpaper scraper and see if the inner seal comes out as suggested. if not go outside and wedge it in the gap between the glass moulding and frame and twist it to see if it start loosening the moulding, the sides will come out first. the mouldings come out fist then the glass then the frames. i bet its held in by the worlds longest phillips screws. 

weird how the lower moulding has a built in drip bead setup.

just save yourself the misery and cut around the reveals on the inside with a stanley knife, then, just put the glass through and sabre saw the frames in the middle top/bottom and bend them outwards snapping all the screws.

@gaz_moose yep it is a bit of a weird one!  Thanks very much for the advice.  The new frame measures 70mm deep.  Is that standard?  It's holding a triple glazed window so I was a little concerned the frame might be deeper than the old one...

Remove from the external side.

15 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

looks like an opening window that is unable to open

It's a dummy sash.

On 30/01/2024 at 09:20, DBreak said:

The inner frame is the one which holds the glass.  I'm hoping I can remove the outer frame as it looks like that's the one which allows access to the pane.

It's externally beaded, remove beads to access the glass, remove the glass and then you should likely find screws through the frame into the brick work.

Edited by craig

Pretty much these days yes, you may need to chop back cill/plasterboard to allow you to sit the window in the same position. You might find that you might not be able to screwfix to the brickwork and might need to use straps, which will result in you needing to cut space in the plasterboard to allow you to fix back and then make good. 

Edited by craig

Hmmmm... Have no experience with straps!  I'm confident I can screw into the bottom and sides, but there's a concrete lintel above which I don't really want to drill into.  Am I good fixing on 3 sides only?  And where can I find out about straps! xD

Your help is hugely appreciated!

Straps are straight forward, fix to side of window (150 from corner vertically/horizontally) and then every 400/600mm. Fix back to inner leaf and you’re good.

Straps you’ll get in Screwfix or similar. It’s likely you won’t need them but better to be prepared just in case.

Edited by craig

44 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Very surprised, our triple glazed units are 48mm wide just the glass, with frame there closer to 125mm. 

Triple glazing could be as low as 24mm 4/6/4/6/4 (commonly double of course), but it would vary from 36mm (4/12/4/12/4) but generally averaging 48/54mm.

• Like 1

Going to tackle this on Monday.  Just had a look at removing the beading.  @craig what's the best method?  Seems like removing the rubber and wedging a scraper under might work...!  Should I expect them to pop off nicely or am I in for a messy one?

IMG_1843.JPG

Ok so I tackled this today - wasn't quite as straightforward as I'd hoped!!  Ended up using a chisel to prise out the beads in the gap between bead and frame - get it in and bend it slowly then wedge in the scraper above.  Had to be patient and do it a few times before it was bent slightly out of shape, and then I could pull it off.  Rinse repeat for the other 3.  Trying to remove the rubber and then wedge the scraper in between glass and bead ended up cracking the glass and the bead wasn't moving at all!

Anyway, new frame in now, had to shave a bit off it to cram it in, a few screws and then the total pita of getting the inside strips in to hold the glass!!

Will seal tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the advice, extremely helpful!

IMG_1848.JPG

• Like 2