Eco friendly sound proof options

Barny

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can recommend an eco friendly material for sound insulation that isn’t ridiculously expensive? 

We are having a MBC twin wall timber frame with warmcell but it has only just occurred to me I need to insulate the interior stud walls for sound proofing. I completely missed this off the budget!

any advice? 

We used sound block rockwool and acoustic plaster board. Works well. 

Same build up between the ground floor ceilings as well. 

Edited by Russdl
Added the last bit.

I reckon blown in cellulose would be a right pain on internal studwork. You’d have to cut holes above and below every noggin, plus remember where every noggin is. 

@Barny pretty much, we did every wall wall/ceiling where we didn’t want sound to travel from one side to the other. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2024 at 21:58, Barny said:

I was wondering if anyone can recommend an eco friendly material for sound insulation that isn’t ridiculously expensive? 

@Barny Sort of depends on what you consider to be expensive...

Rockwool isn't that pleasant to install, but once it's in it's great.

Pavatextil (made from recycled cotton/ jeans etc) is also good I think - has good density and should be good for this - but it's quite a bit more, almost double.

It would be much nicer to install yourself I'd imagine.

On 24/01/2024 at 07:59, Barny said:

has anyone used anything like hempwool?

I'm using sound insulation that includes 25% hemp 60% cellulose, at 45 kg/m³, but that's in France. Not sure what the UK equivalent would be. It's certainly pleasant to handle.

On 23/01/2024 at 21:58, Barny said:

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can recommend an eco friendly material for sound insulation that isn’t ridiculously expensive? 

Your Rockwool is probably a good balance. The important thing is to install it properly, no gaps and not pack the wall tighty.. it needs a residual air gap.... see installation instructions.

Following the installation intructions is probably the most eco freindly appoach.

• Like 1

Don't reinvent this. There are standard solutions, all lab tesred, but make sure to do it thoroughly and as specified. Pay particular attention to the perimeter as any gaps there will defeat the object.

I recommend "resilient bar" as an easy addition to mineral wool. but again, make sure it is done as drawn.