Why are people leaving construction?

I have been tasked with understanding the construction sector in my county, and noticed a large decline in numbers joining the construction industry. And whilst numbers of women joining the industry are on the rise (from 12.6% to 15.8%), there were 200,000 less men in construction in the 3rd quarter of 2023, than there was in the first 3 months prior to covid.

I've found some interesting stats from CITB, and have done additional research elsewhere, but I am very interested in getting feedback from those of you who work in the industry, or who may have left/considered leaving the industry.

Please feel free to be as honest as you can, and even give suggestions on how we may seek to improve numbers back in construction as a council.

Welcome Ian

Maybe a bit more context is needed, who has tasked you?, why have they tasked you, 

I have only worked on the periphery of the building industry as a supplier/installer.  I found the majority of people in it a bit too 'laddish' and generally under educated.

• Like 1

Hello, welcome.

You have noticed that we are a group of self-builders haven't you?

You asked for honesty.

As written your post appears to have been written in haste : if we are to help you, several statements need explanation;

understanding the construction sector in my county, and noticed a large decline in numbers joining the construction industry

Which data leads you make that conclusion?  Maybe you looked at CITB data. (reference please?) Is that broken down by County?  Does that data also tell you how many are leaving the construction sector (hypothetically  - none -) ?

If thats the case, then, in a roughly stable market, there's your answer. There are next to no new jobs because nobody is leaving the industry (except the jobs of retirees who the company feels need to be replaced) . 

What evidence do you have that there is a decline in new entrants to the sector in your county?

If the CIBT data you cite (reference please?) is taken at national level, why - or why not - should your County follow that trend? Why might it buck that trend? Are there any National Level funded local build projects?

Construction staff are sometimes recruited from out of the area  (Aufwiedersehen Pet). Has something similar happened in your area?  OK, thats a bit far fetched - but locally, there's a massive boom in West Lancashire around the A6 corridor south of Lancaster but North of Preston. There's a noticeable increase in lads (and lasses) wanting local accommodation Monday to Friday.... you try getting a B+B locally here .... Weekends, no problem.

The word '....Council...'   needs explaining. And a Councils involvement in recruitment. If the jobs are there, folk will come. If not, they'll leave. Hence my emphasis on entrants above. 

Locally , five years or so ago Wyre Borough put together a plan which  addressed our supposed housing needs. The process, long-slow-painful-NIMBY-Etc. resulted in a 8 point Local Plan (Here's the link to the Master Plan) Nobody - but nobody - locally who has anything to do with building is short of work. In my pub, a WhiteVanMan comes in with five jobs on the go and leaves with 3 more.

Why should a (local?) Council have anything to do with that process?

Except for putting the local Planning Framework in place. And we all know what a mess that is a national level. Even dear Old Mikey admitted that the much trumpeted initiative (to build 300,000 homes a year) was a step too far. 

Councils are strapped for cash and each Planning Officer has too much to do. But who isn't trying to do more with less?

On balance, I think you might be best served by looking at your very local building scene, and by reading the national level press.

39 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Welcome Ian

Maybe a bit more context is needed, who has tasked you?, why have they tasked you, 

I have only worked on the periphery of the building industry as a supplier/installer.  I found the majority of people in it a bit too 'laddish' and generally under educated.

I took that to be the council have tasked him with this. Though i agree, it doesnt actually say that.

As per toughbuttercups comments, why are the council involved? One struggles to imagine a scenario where the council getting involved is likely to have any positive or useful effect? Unless they employ directly.

However, assuming stats are right, id suggest its because there are much easier ways to earn money. No amount of money could entice me into the building game, even though my skills and the trade have a useful amount of overlap. I dont really use most of my skills now, because selling stuff is easier and earns me more. And i get to sit in a warm office, not outside in the wind and the rain.

I am leaving (electrician).  That is mainly because I am retiring, at least a year later than I wanted to, but I had to wait for other things to fall into place before I could finally quit (a property sale)

Why anyone wants to work a day later than they have to for financial reasons beats me.

BUT even if not retiring, I was getting disenchanted with the industry, the sheer number of people I meet who are frankly incompetent bodgers, and the extra regulation burdens that might be intended to raise the standards, but all I see is more hassle placed on people like me to keep proving you are competent, and it has virtually got to the point with me that I could not carry on much longer without going back to college to update my qualifications.  Something I have no desire to do any more.  

• Like 2

I worked for myself for around 23 years, general building, extensions and the like, subbing in where required. And as @ProDave mentioned there are loads of bodger's so getting reliable subbies is near impossible, if they're any good, they work for themselves, or are nearing retirement and want cash.

For me the end was the endless reg changes  for electrical work and the associated fees for part p, then CIS requirements of posting 0 returns every month or getting fined, VAT returns, waste carrier licence blah blah blah, just an endless list of people / government with their hands out. I just wanted to earn a living, not run an organisation, but that's what you end up with. All this before you meet the customers and The "Google says you do it this way". 

Now my house build is nearing an end I may have to go out and earn a few quid, I know I can earn good money doing what I do, especially up this far North, but I'm not interested in starting with all the guff again. I think the black market is calling. At least Scotland don't have Part P😉.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jenki said:

Now my house build is nearing an end I may have to go out and earn a few quid, I know I can earn good money doing what I do, especially up this far North, but I'm not interested in starting with all the guff again. I think the black market is calling. At least Scotland don't have Part P😉.

Yet......

It was the requirements for rental propertied that got me.  You can't do an EICR for a rental here unless you are registered with a competent persons scheme.  So for the last 2 or 3 years I have been in the stupid position I can wire a new house, issue an EIC and building control will accept it, but if the owner then wants to let it, Highland council won't accept an EICR from me.    I can't be doing with nonsense like that.

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You can't do an EICR for a rental here unless you are registered with a competent persons scheme.  So for the last 2 or 3 years I have been in the stupid position I can wire a new house, issue an EIC and building control will accept it, but if the owner then wants to let it, Highland council won't accept an EICR from me.    I can't be doing with nonsense like that.

This was the same for me in England, I was part P registered with Napit, then Stroma then back to Napit, as I only did electrical work associated with extensions or kitchens/ bathrooms I was doing, I went for the cheapest option. So I could notify electrical work, re wire a house, but if I wanted to do an EICR I had to add professional indemnity insurance. At the time my PL  insurance was say £200, to add Indemnity to they wanted another £600 / £800 as it went off turnover. It just wasn't worth it. But I didn't need indemnity insurance for a rewire? Crazy.