Side Return Extension Victorian House advice needed

Hello All!

We have a Victorian terraced property in Oxford, looking to do a side return. The property is strange as it has the main house section, a small narrow kitchen extension, leading onto a narrow bedroom extension, all long and narrow, with a side alley leading back to the sitting room window. We'd like to do a side return, opening up the kitchen/diner, but going no further. The issue is, half of the kitchen has a bathroom above it, so we'd need steels. I attach pics of what we'd like to do. 

My questions are:

1: Do I need an architect? I've been quoted c. £3000, which is horrifying. 

2: I've heard I only need an architect 'technician' - but I can;t find one - google seems to only bring up architects. Is this a thing?

3: How much do you reckon it will cost. We have a budget of about 40k - have been quoted between 40k-90k and am unsure if it's feasible.

4: are there any tips to keeping this very low cost??

(you'll see from pic here and footprint attached that the ground floor bathroom would need it's roof altered too, as they are in one 'shed roof style' block, but the extension cannot go that far due to regs. So the shape is jinked)

image.png.2ff0d80949b49ab6cb98dbbdbf6ce7d8.png

Many thanks!

Sam

original.jpg

proposed.jpg

howard footprint.jpg

One issue you'll have will be rainwater - looks like you'll need gutters at each boundary thus bringing your walls in to accommodate these.

This doesn't really need an architect per se. There are a number of surveyors/technicians who prepare plans for extensions like this and get building regs and planning approvals for householders. Most builders know someone who will prepare designs and drawings for potential clients of theirs. Once upon a time the local paper had small ad's for "plans drawn". It's that market you need. Ask friends and neighbours. If you have a builder in mind ask them - you need a "plan drawer" although the skills of most match or exceed many architects particularly as to practicality and interaction with the local authority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam odell said:

Many thanks for this advice. Do you think the above can be done on a 40K budget?

Only if you build it yourself. 

Oxford prices are not a lot different to London prices. 

From a builders point of view it looks like a pain in the arse job, so expect a bit of that added to the cost. 

I'd want £3k to do a proper design and no supervision.

It could be much less if you've  a good builder who knows how to do it, or if you read up all the regulations yourself.

Try googling architectural technician, or services. Or building drawings.

Architect is a protected title.

Going right to the boundary creates msny issues.

£40k diy feels right assuming a practical design.

• Like 1

Thanks all - by 'build it yourself' do you mean I actually do all the brickwork etc, or do you mean 'project manage' and work with multiple different trades to get it done? thanks - sorry if that's a stupid question.

I think you will need to be very hands on to get this done for £40k.  You can sub out foundations, brickwork, plastering, electrics and plumbing.  You may need to do some carpentry, roofing, drainage, gutters, kitchen install, paving, tiling and decoration.

I think you will need a Party Wall Award which will cost maybe £1,400.  You need engineer drawings and calcs.

Is there access through the back, like a tarmac road across?

53 minutes ago, Sam odell said:

I don't think it's that complicated a plan - what's inelegant about it? :)

The plan is simple enough - the roof is another matter. Plus building on the boundary - as others have pointed out - could be problematic.

Edited by ETC

Thanks for these plans @ETC I did reply, but my messages have gone awol. Greatly appreciated work. RE. Option 1: I think changing the existing roof to pitched all the way along, adding steels and building a side infill as well may be too costly. I'm considering a flat roof now - leaving the pitched on the rear reception room, the rest (incl infil) would be flat. This would mean no gutters etc over boundary. And flat roofs are cheaper to put in no? Is this true?

Option 2: 

It does remove the need for steels, but doesn't gain as much width, so I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Also - the rear reception room is a necessary bedroom for us.

Thanks so much all for this advice. 

14 minutes ago, Lofty718 said:

I highly doubt this is acheivable for 40k for someone who's not in the building industry themselves.  A nice  kitchen alone costs 12-15k. without fitting

I've abandoned the 40K budget. What I'm looking at now is steels to open up the space, side return and flat roof. all done by contractor Once the shell is up and plastered, electrics, plumbing etc, I'll do skirting, painting, install new kitchen (will source a cheap one, salvage existing, or freebie, off the shelf etc). budget 50K hopefully/

Edited by Sam odell

What's the drainage situation in your proposed extension area? relocating manholes can add quite a lot to costs

For 50k and you doing a lot yourself I would say it might be acheivable if you can get someone to work on a labour only basis and you provide materials. good luck keep us updated

Edited by Lofty718

9 minutes ago, Lofty718 said:

What's the drainage situation in your proposed extension area? relocating manholes can add quite a lot to costs

For 50k and you doing a lot yourself I would say it might be acheivable if you can get someone to work on a labour only basis and you provide materials. good luck keep us updated

I need to check the drainage out properly. There is a 'hole' that has been filled in with rubble - I think some drains are under there, not easy to see what's going on. The hole is just beyond where the extension would be.

4 hours ago, Sam odell said:

Thanks for these plans @ETC I did reply, but my messages have gone awol. Greatly appreciated work. RE. Option 1: I think changing the existing roof to pitched all the way along, adding steels and building a side infill as well may be too costly. I'm considering a flat roof now - leaving the pitched on the rear reception room, the rest (incl infil) would be flat. This would mean no gutters etc over boundary. And flat roofs are cheaper to put in no? Is this true? My option was a simple mono-pitched extension plus steel keeping the other roofs as they are. This is probably the cheapest and easiest to build. It could be a flat roof if you want but the detailing might be challenging.

Option 2: 

It does remove the need for steels, but doesn't gain as much width, so I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Also - the rear reception room is a necessary bedroom for us.

Thanks so much all for this advice. This option is basically a reconfiguration of your accommodation and a widening of the extension to give you a single open plan kitchen/dining/living room. The roof can be any shape you need it to be - I have suggested a flat green roof.

49 minutes ago, ETC said:

Thanks again @ETC

I think option A looks good. I didn't understand the plan as it shows one single pitched roof all the way along. At the moment, the end reception room has a pitched roof, the roof above the dining area and the small shower room (between kitchen and that reception room) is a shed roof (mono pitch?). That's what's making it complicated - the two different types. As shown here: 

image.png.dad086eda5d304ff749c157b24ac10b8.png