Tile levelling using spacers under tiles

skeg0

Im about to lay 24x11.5cm floor tiles onto a self levelling Ufh screed - so pretty level. I don’t like using tile levelling systems as I find them very fiddly and manage fine without them usually (mostly on larger wall and floor tiles so far which are easier to see any levelling issues with). However I don’t think it will be as easy to maintain a level floor with these size of tile and a tile levelling system seems overkill as they are so small. 

My question is - seeing as my screed will be as close to level as I can get, can I not use tile spacers as my levelling method by placing (for example) 4 under each tile and into the adhesive? I’m thinking a 3mm high tile spacer pushed into adhesive that has been spread with a 6mm ridged trowel for example should ensure enough tile contact - then I just need to push until the tile comes into contact with the spacers. 

Is there any reason at all not to do this? Would save me so much time but can’t find any examples of others doing it. 

i will probably be using flexible adhesive if this makes a difference. 

I've done both manual levelling and used levelling systems (clip and wedge). 

The only time I wouldn't use a levelling system is on small tiles or stone that has varying thickness. I found even the cheap systems is off Amazon seem to work reasonably well.

5 hours ago, nod said:

Let’s be clear Tile leveling systems where brought in for large format tiles 

There not needed for normal sized tiles 

They are if you're crap at tiling ask me how I know!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

The golden rules:

1. Use a tile levelling system.

2. Don't go for yellow grout. 

You forgot rule 3

3. Measure floor to ceiling height and align tiles so that you don’t have a crappy slither at the top .

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pocster said:

You forgot rule 3

3. Measure floor to ceiling height and align tiles so that you don’t have a crappy slither at the top .

If you were a proper tiler you'd know they were called "rips". Anyway, it was poor planning not poor measuring!

What a fiddly, pita they are to do as well! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Onoff said:

If you were a proper tiler you'd know they were called "rips". Anyway, it was poor planning not poor measuring!

What a fiddly, pita they are to do as well! 

If you were a proper plumber you’d have functional heating in the bathroom .

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Insert words as required for any building discipline I undertake. 

I’ll give you respect for stretching the bathroom task into decades . Posting a thread that rivals the bible in its length and delusion. But ! You never joined my anonymous help group . Until the day you do that and accept your shame you can never truly be considered a completely useless shite .

58 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Until the day you do that and accept your shame you can never truly be considered a completely useless shite .

Surely the fact I've haven't even the gumption to join automatically qualifies me?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...