Cool Energy ASHP Hiccup!

We have a Cool Energy InverTech Air Source Heat Pump | CE-iVT9 4.3kW-9.5kW.

We have had a DC Bus Overvoltage fault come up. Running since June 2021, its our first hiccup.

The result was that the pump was on but not the compressor or the fan.

We managed to turn everything off and turn it all back on and it fired up as per normal.

However, in case it happens again does anyone know what might have caused this to happen?

Regards

Marvin

That would typically present itself as an error in the power+ module that drives the compressor (the inverter) - a fault like that would be caused typically by a spike on the AC input, I would think.

A quick call to Chris might be worthwhile? He can probably advise.

• Thanks 1

possibly a mains spike that got through the rectifier? Both the fan and the main drive inverter are on the same bus so I'd guess that anything that disables the inverter crashes the fan module too.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HughF said:

That would typically present itself as an error in the power+ module that drives the compressor (the inverter) - a fault like that would be caused typically by a spike on the AC input, I would think.

A quick call to Chris might be worthwhile? He can probably advise.

snap!

• Thanks 1

Hiccup on mine today too. I get a phone call this evening saying ‘the heating went off this afternoon’….

Asked for a photo of the panel, it had started to do a dhw refill but never started up the pump/compressor/fan cycle. So it was just sat there waiting for Christmas to come round again. 

No errors, and a power cycle seems to have fixed it and it’s now doing a refill, having woken up in heating mode.

On 07/01/2024 at 19:31, HughF said:

R290 version available ‘soon’ btw….. looks excellent, as you’d expect from Sprsun + Chris….

The CE-IVT9-EVI is R290 and available now I believe 

It’s rather expensive though, a £1k more than the Vaillant Aerotherm plus 

Edited by Chanmenie

10 hours ago, Chanmenie said:

The CE-IVT9-EVI is R290 and available now I believe 

It’s rather expensive though, a £1k more than the Vaillant Aerotherm plus 

Yep, certainly not the cheapest unit around…. Shame they don’t make a 5kW as well really…. It’s a little on the large side for most.

11 hours ago, HughF said:

Hiccup on mine today too. I get a phone call this evening saying ‘the heating went off this afternoon’….

Asked for a photo of the panel, it had started to do a dhw refill but never started up the pump/compressor/fan cycle. So it was just sat there waiting for Christmas to come round again. 

No errors, and a power cycle seems to have fixed it and it’s now doing a refill, having woken up in heating mode.

My ASHP did something similar (not cool energy) just after I started to do DHW with it. It changed modes from heating to DHW and just stopped waiting for something. I switched off and on again, never done it since.

55 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

@HughF what kind of changeover valve do you use?

Honeywell…. Came on my Vaillant pre-plumbed cylinder. 

Hasn’t given any issue till now and it doesn’t have any aux contacts. I’ve got it wired up to the heating live, so it’s power-off for dhw .

Temp was 37.5 (reheat threshold is 12.5 below target) and setpoint was 50.

Everything behaving as expected, except it just sat there and didn’t fire up to complete the dhw cycle.