Quandary!

Dee

Hello everyone,

I'm creating a bathroom from scratch and doing much of the work myself.

I've had all the pipes and wastes installed and now I'm at the point of screwing the ply floor down. Problem is I'm nervous about  access to pipes incase of leaks. Fortunately all the pipes/joints run between 2 joists so I've built an access panel in the ply for that but I just can't commit to screwing it all down!! I plan to use vinyl on top, glued down.

Any suggestions or reassurance??

I would really make access available.  Had all my pipes, in tested and leak free, for 2 years all ok - and then had 2 compression joints start to drip - luckily I had access.

2 hours ago, Dee said:

access panel in the ply

I think joints , when well made, are as secure as the rest of the pipe. Leaks would then be most likely from damage by stray nails etc, and not only where the access panel is.

But then:

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

2 years all ok - and then had 2 compression joints start to drip

I wonder why? increase in water pressure?

Is it better to solder?

29 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

wonder why? 

Is it better to solder?

Not sure - maybe not tight enough, maybe too tight. Or was there just such a small leak I didn't see it. Had quite a few issues with compression fittings, are they just being made from rubbish materials - down to a price instead of up to a quality?

Where I have used Hep2O or Tectite push fits, seal first time every time.

I wonder.

I stopped specifying expansion bolts after having some work loose due to repetitive loading.

It was the concrete that was gradually eroded. Chemical anchor replacements worked fine.

If a pipe vibrates, maybe the same applies, wearing or compressing  the copper.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you glue down the vinyl, how will you get to your access panel. 

Test all the pipework vigorously, then get it all screwed down.

If you tested it, the chance of a leak is highly unlikely

Well, I'll glue the vinyl on the access panel separately with ring pulls to lift it off.

I made an boob with the pipes....plumber ran the plastic with copper tails and disappeared, never to return!...Holding me up  I got the plumbers who were fitting a new boiler to connect into the system so all pipes are live but capped off, So I can't really test the joints as such. As the pipes have been under pressure for about 6 weeks now with no sign of leaks ( all push fit joints) is that a vigorous test enough? Had a nightmare with plumbers!

Edited by Dee

• 4 weeks later...