What happens when power comes back?

Hi all, question: 

Do you have any appliances (oven? dishwasher?) that will continue their job after a power cut is restored without any prompting?

I think most devices will do nothing, or wait for a 'resume' command, but a washing machine might want to immediately(?) drain the water out? Of course a classic kettle, toaster, coffeemaker will immediately resume as long as the button is pressed down, but I think most modern devices won't spontaneously continue? Or am I wrong?

Context: if my house switches to battery power, I don't want random things to unneccessarily drain my battery. Also, having too many power hungry devices on my battery might cause the battery to shut down. 

Surely the switchover will be handled by your inverter and it will be imperceptible as far as the appliances are concerned.

Also on having too many power hungry devices running when the switchover happens will again not be an issue, because you'll have done the analysis to make sure that the battery and inverter can supply more than enough to supply all the appliances you might have running - surely.

Most toasters will pop up if the power goes off, so won't resume.

Anything with much electronics will need human intervention, e.g a posh oven with a display and a timer will probably do nothing until you reset the time on the clock, but a basic oven with just a mechanical function switch and a mechanical thermostat will probably resume.

Some things like televisions will power up in standby, others might remember what they were last doing and switch back on again.  

47 minutes ago, Bramco said:

Also on having too many power hungry devices running when the switchover happens will again not be an issue, because you'll have done the analysis to make sure that the battery and inverter can supply more than enough to supply all the appliances you might have running - surely.

Impossible. The number of appliances varies over time (not to mention the number of occupants do) whereas the inverter is intended to last decades (and potentially across home sales)

The options are to either only EPS backup a few key circuits (some lights, fridge/freezer, internet router, maybe one socket in the kitchen for basic off grid cooking), or else EPS backup everything but have someway to kick most/all discretionary high power users into their "off" state when there's grid failure.  Introducing a 5sec  delay when switching over from grid to EPS backup turns out to be a very effective way of powering off most high energy consuming devices.

26 minutes ago, joth said:

Impossible

You can't get away with tongue in cheek here can you.......

But while you say it's impossible - it's also important to do the homework - how many appliances might be on - can the inverter and batteries handle that and how long can they handle the demand.

As @ProDave says - most modern appliances will simply give up the ghost and go into standby - so not a problem - unless your washing is sitting in a vat of warmish water.

Simon

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bramco said:

Surely the switchover will be handled by your inverter and it will be imperceptible as far as the appliances are concerned.

Nope, that's not how it works, at least not in my home. The inverter can provide AC of course but a full grid failure requires a deliberate switch at the main grid connection which is a auto EPS device. 

3 minutes ago, Bramco said:

But what about my antique kettle collection?  Or a 22kw 3 phase car charger.  

Not to mention that no consumer level inverter I've seen can deliver more than 5-10kw (mine does 7) out of their EPS port. 

End of the day, I think forcing a few dumber devices such as a kettle (ok I only have one), coffee machine, hob etc, off by default might make sense, but it does add a good layer of complexity, where as others have pointed out, most devices will not happily resume their 'powered work' if they get reconnected to power. 

I will find out on Tuesday, we have a planned power outage for 3 hrs. Hoping I notice nothing and everything continues as normal. No EPS as such, it should hopefully continue as normal, up to 6kW output, plus whatever solar is putting out.