Reverso Fan coils

Happy new year all! 

https://www.orionairsales.co.uk/cool-energy-high-wall-reverso-water-fan-coil-ce-hw400-12kw-cooling168kw-heating-230v50hz-16622-p.asp

Does anyone have any experience with these units? 

Am looking to put one in to a bedroom at my parents house to replace a failed underfloor heating loop.

Estimated heat loss for the room is around 1800w. 

The flow temp is 40C as it will be taking the flow originally meant for the UFH loop so I need to derate the output as their stated performance is at 50C flow. but my rough calculations is the derating is roughly 50%.

Any thoughts or experiences? 

If the room heat loss is 1800W and this unit is rated at 1680W at 50C water but you are going to feed it with 40C water at an estimated derating of 50% then it won't have enough heat output for that room.

• Thanks 1

image.png.45a664a159c4c34299f3d081d5798ed2.png

Forgive me for plugging my own ideas but this might do the job for you at a much lower cost. Basically it's a double radiator in a pair of kitchen cupboards with PC fans above. More info and picture on Originaltwist DIY fan-coil heater. Integrated into some storage cupboards with a nice shelf on top it will look good in a bedroom.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

If the room heat loss is 1800W and this unit is rated at 1680W at 50C water but you are going to feed it with 40C water at an estimated derating of 50% then it won't have enough heat output for that room.

the unit i am looking at is actually the floor mounted FW800 which tops out at over 4kw @50C, so even with the de-rating I should be fine.

I'm more after anyone who has experience of the units in terms of things like build quality, noise (my plan is to use to oversized unit and run the fan at minimum for the lowest noise), ease of fitting etc.

I’ve seen them in the flesh in the Cool Energy trailer at the installer show. They are very nice units and are quiet in operation. Much nicer than the smiths ecovector that we ended up using (because they were the only ones that would fit over the doors).

The wiring on the reverso ones does look a little complex though. The smiths have a built in thermal switch that will turn them off until the flow temp hits 37-38.

Reverso units are rated for cooling though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HughF said:

I’ve seen them in the flesh in the Cool Energy trailer at the installer show. They are very nice units and are quiet in operation. Much nicer than the smiths ecovector that we ended up using (because they were the only ones that would fit over the doors).

The wiring on the reverso ones does look a little complex though. The smiths have a built in thermal switch that will turn them off until the flow temp hits 37-38.

Reverso units are rated for cooling though.

Thanks. 

I had a look at the manual and the wiring to the controller seems to have many connections but they are labeled "valve 1", "valve 2", "min" etc. 

I think they are just switched lives to activate the 2 way valve, or the min/med/max fan speed. 

If that is the case the it should be pretty easy to integrate into the. Existing system. 

The system already has a 2 way valve per zone. All I need to do is turn the fan on.

OK, unit arrived. Well packed. 

It's a bit of a beast (fs800) slightly over 1200mm wide (a bit wider than spec) and abut under 600mm high. 

Pretty thin - 120mm as advertised - about the same a k22 rad. 

Build quality seems good. 

One interesting thing is the ends are about 150mm wide each and are mostly fresh air. 

They are for making the hydraulic and electrical connections. But it strikes me most rads have the valves exposed on the side anyway. It's sort of expected so doesn't look odd to most people. 

So they coukd make a unit with the same performance, but a nominal. 900mm wide (the width of the actual core) and have the inlet and outlet at each side on the bottom, like normal rads. 

If the ditxhd the fancy glass front for a pressed steel flat front it would d be a pretty standard looking rafiator, just able to provide the same output at a much lower flow. 

The smiths powerad looks sort of ideal but it's price is a but high and performance wasn't as good on paper. 

Let's see how it performs. 

IMG_20240106_145816.thumb.jpg.d1b5d4e6303006173787d2f7473ce517.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Beelbeebub said:

So they coukd make a unit with the same performance, but a nominal. 900mm wide (the width of the actual core) and have the inlet and outlet at each side on the bottom, like normal rads. 

The extra shroud is to hide the condensation drip tray isn't it? It generally doesn't look very attractive, esp after residual water has pooled in and then evaporated off it.

They really should publish dimensions including the cover though!

Thanks for sharing keep us updated.

7 hours ago, Beelbeebub said:

If the ditxhd the fancy glass front for a pressed steel flat front it would d be a pretty standard looking rafiator, just able to provide the same output at a much lower flow. 

I don't suppose this comes off?   I have dismissed this unit precisely because of the fancy glass front.  Otherwise it looks a good match to what I need assuming I eventually get over my planning hurdle.

3 hours ago, JamesPa said:

I don't suppose this comes off?   I have dismissed this unit precisely because of the fancy glass front.  Otherwise it looks a good match to what I need assuming I eventually get over my planning hurdle.

Glass front in held on by screws. The original manuf has images of alternative covers. I suppose there is nothing to stop a handy person making their own. Might try it, I'm not 100% sold on the grey look. Might work well in a swanky city flat or Mia I glass cube but not so well in my parent spare room. 😁

13 hours ago, Beelbeebub said:

Glass front in held on by screws. The original manuf has images of alternative covers. I suppose there is nothing to stop a handy person making their own. Might try it, I'm not 100% sold on the grey look. Might work well in a swanky city flat or Mia I glass cube but not so well in my parent spare room. 😁

It would make sense to sell alternative covers wouldn't it.  As you say the glass (which I actually quite like from the pictures) front suits a swanky flat or ultra modern house, but less so a 1930s house.  

5 hours ago, Beelbeebub said:

Maybe lean into the aesthetic...... 😁

image.png.ccd4d129467cf2ed9a8d52d4b1405ee7.png

Well that's sort of the point.  Skins would be a good idea.

There are a couple of companies that will print this sort of thing on magnetic plastic